Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda Recon 2002 Carb Clean question 250ES

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 04:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Recon 2002 Carb Clean question 250ES

I hate to ask this question, but I admit I'm looking for a timesaver to clean my carb without removing it (as best as possible) since I'm out of free time with sick kids right now. I just put some CRC Engine cleaner in the tank and ran it for about 10 minutes. I'll test it later to see if it's better. It rides fine for the most part but dies any time you stop running the throttle and you're not moving. I've seen this is most likely the pilot jet on the carb. i don't want to adjust the idle in case it's the carb.

I bought this last year from a person in West Virginia. I'm in Missouri. It ran fine last summer but towards the end of the summer it started having this issue. I know I should probably remove the carb and clean it but I don't have the free time to do it right now and my son really wants to go riding next weekend. Any suggestions?

Old 07-08-2013, 09:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

anyone have any suggestions?

Does any fuel additive work decent enough to clean out without complete disassembling the entire carb?

My model is a TRX250ES

Old 07-09-2013, 07:04 AM
Pro Rider

You could try some carb cleaner. Spray it in the throat of the carb while it is running. It will try to stall. Stop spraying it when this happens so it keeps running. Do this 4 or 5 times. I doubt it will cure the problem, but try it. I have a Recon that did the same thing. I didn't want to take the carb off and clean the jet so I rode with someone else that day in a S x S. then I got it home and removed the carb to clean it. There was a chunk of something in the bore of the main jet. Carb cleaner wouldn't have fixed that. I needed to poke it out with a wire. But my point is that the entire job, remove, clean, reinstall carb took 20 minutes. So, don't hesitate to do it. It's really not a big deal.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:44 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The best one I seen that may work in Seafoam. FAQ: Gas Engines | Sea Foam Sales Company

Old 07-09-2013, 12:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by budedm
You could try some carb cleaner. Spray it in the throat of the carb while it is running. It will try to stall. Stop spraying it when this happens so it keeps running. Do this 4 or 5 times. I doubt it will cure the problem, but try it. I have a Recon that did the same thing. I didn't want to take the carb off and clean the jet so I rode with someone else that day in a S x S. then I got it home and removed the carb to clean it. There was a chunk of something in the bore of the main jet. Carb cleaner wouldn't have fixed that. I needed to poke it out with a wire. But my point is that the entire job, remove, clean, reinstall carb took 20 minutes. So, don't hesitate to do it. It's really not a big deal.
So you didn't do a rebuild, you just took it out and looked it over?

Old 07-09-2013, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by ricoscoro
So you didn't do a rebuild, you just took it out and looked it over?
No rebuild. Not saying that you don't need a rebuild, but to rebuild a Recon carb, HA, there's noting really in there to rebuild. It probably only needs to be cleaned.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

No rebuild. Not saying that you don't need a rebuild, but to rebuild a Recon carb, HA, there's noting really in there to rebuild. It probably only needs to be cleaned.
I mean the kits that come with the new gaskets and hardware. Didn't know if i can just disconnect the carb and spray it out or if i need to disassemble any of the components.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by ricoscoro
I mean the kits that come with the new gaskets and hardware. Didn't know if i can just disconnect the carb and spray it out or if i need to disassemble any of the components.
First, spray it while its running. If that doesn't work, remove the carb, take it apart, and clean it with spray and if needed, clean the jets with a wire. Put it back together and reinstall. You won't need any gaskets or o rings or anything.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

First, spray it while its running. If that doesn't work, remove the carb, take it apart, and clean it with spray and if needed, clean the jets with a wire. Put it back together and reinstall. You won't need any gaskets or o rings or anything.
do i need to remove the air cleaner housing to spray it or just shoot through the connecting tube after removing the air filter?

is there a sticky somewhere here regarding removal of the carb? I looked around but I'm new to the site so maybe i'm missing it.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Forget spraying it. By the time you get done monkeying around with that you could have just had the bowl off and been done with it.

Here is how to do it.
Remove any bodywork in your way.
Loosen the clamps on the airbox and also the engine side of carb/intake tract
Gently rotate the carb so you can get to the screws holding on the float bowl(you may have to unscrew the cap on top of the carb and remove the slide to get it to rotate far enough)
Carefully unscrew those four float bowl screws! They can be easy to strip!
Looking at the microfiche, it looks like there is a holder that MAY cover the pilot or slow jet. Otherwise the pilot is slotted for removal with a regular screwdriver.
Once you get that out, hold it up to the light. Can't see through it? Use some compressed air to clean it out, or maybe a small wire, blast of carb cleaner, etc.

That usually is enough to fix it. While you are in there, check the main as well as the bottom of the bowl. Any crud in the bowl and I am afraid you really should just pull the carb and clean out any passages you can get to.

Just take your time, keep a cool head, and have a service manual or access to the microfiche online in case you have trouble putting it back together. The parts are small and many are soft brass, but carb cleaning really isn't that bad if you practice patience.

Quick Reply: Honda Recon 2002 Carb Clean question 250ES