Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda Recon 2002 Fuel line and Tank question 250ES

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 11:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Recon 2002 Fuel line and Tank question 250ES

I have taken my carb off and going to do a rebuild kit with it. However, I noticed that the fuel line was very stiff when taking it off the carb and was wondering about replacing it.

The ATV has sat for almost 3 years without being run. It had Seafoam in the gas tank with about a half gallon of gas but it looks like that failed after some time. I was wondering about taking the tank off and dumping it out, if it's easy enough to figure out. Is it pretty simple to remove the gas tank? Any major watch outs?

Any suggestions on what fuel line to get as a replacement of if I should bother adding in a fuel filter as well?

Can you replace the fuel line without removing the gas tank?

Thanks

Old 09-25-2016, 02:34 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

The pipe does stick to the carb but I've never come across one that wasn't soft and flexible once it is off. If yours has gone hard, the tank will need to be lifted at least to get at the other end attached to the tap. The snorkel has to come off, then two bolts at the front of the tank, just behind the head race. The **** for the tap may need to come off too, if it runs under the frame tube (some do, some don't), this is held by a single cross head screw in the middle. It is almost impossible to get all the fuel/dirt out of a fuel tank because of their shape, there are small filters on the tap inlets. In-line paper fuel filters tend to air lock if they are run dry so the bike may not re-start when you have turned over to reserve, if you fit a filter.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After all this time I finally got around to doing a rebuild kit on the carb. I did take the fuel tank off, dumped it out, and put some fuel cleaner in there and let it sit for a day. It doesn't seem to have been too nasty. The carb was nasty but the gas wasn't too bad. I had been pouring Sea Foam into the tank on occasion hoping it would help dissolve some of the crud.

When I put the gas tank and carb back on, the rubber fuel line was tough to get down on the carb nipple and even though it's currently not leaking I am afraid it may sneak off at one point as the hose clamp is probably just barely making contact. I think someone replaced the fuel line at one point with this non OEM line. I didn't put a filter on the fuel line. Can I simply splice the fuel line about 1.5 to 2 inches about the carb and tie in some new fuel line?

If so, any recommendations on the proper fuel line size and what to use to join the old and new fuel lines?

Does anyone have some good recommendations or a link for a video on tuning the carb as well? I wasn't aware of the mixture screw on the bottom of the bowl. I thought I only had to mess with the idle screw on the side.

Thanks

Old 01-28-2017, 05:19 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

There is little point in putting a short piece of tube in the line, you may as well replace it from the tap. I have fitted in line filters in to lengthen a pipe that was too short. Never had to get a new one, as Honda pipes don't seem to deteriorate. I don't do a lot of carb work on 250s but I don't recall an adjuster on the float bowl, there may be a drain valve, to let any water etc, from the float bowl. There is an idle mixture adjuster in front of the float bowl which I never touch, and a throttle stop for the slide, which I do alter to get the slow running speed right.