Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda recon slipping in high gears?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 10:38 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda recon slipping in high gears?

Hey guys, I have a very old and abused 2001 Honda Recon (non- ES model) that I recently put back not the trail after sitting for a long time. I replaced the rear axle that had stripped splines at the end from riding it with a loose axle nut, rebuild the carb, adjusted the valves and a few other things. She starts up and revs right up now

Anyway, the bike has plenty of power in 1st and 2nd (at least for a very high mile bike) but when you start to shift into third or higher, it starts to run out of steam. It doesn't feel like power loss to me, there isn't any misfiring or breaking up in the engine. it feels more like there is some slop in the driveline causing some slip of some sort. It's hard to explain, but it doesn't feel like the driveline is fully 'connected' to the engine and there is some chattery feeling when at the bottoms of the gear. The engine isnt free revving, but the bike just wants to lug along and struggle to pick up speed, even on flat ground. The more throttle you give it, the more it feels like your lugging it in too low of a gear and the chattering feeling gets worse. If you manage to make it to the top of the gear, it feels bit better.

I'm not too familiar with the clutch assemblies on these ATVs but I am figuring I am going to have to learn. What do you guys suspect? Think it is clutch related? I thought maybe the engine really is just down on power from many years of abuse, but first gear feels like it could still pull a truck, and the chattering feeling makes me feel like something else is going on other than it just lugging from lack of power. What do you think I will need to fix it?

Thanks!

Old 10-21-2016, 02:37 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

You haven't mentioned adjusting the clutch. I would try this first, though if it has been slipping, it probably now has glazed plates. There is also a centrifugal clutch which usually gives no trouble until the shoes wear down to the steel backing, then they slip bad. When this one starts to slip it normally engages better the harder you rev it. If adjustment doesn't work, you will have to remove the clutch cover and inspect both clutches, the centrifugal is obvious, the normal motorcycle multiplate one will need the plates checking for thickness and glazing. Your symptoms are not typical of clutch slip, so you may have a gearbox problem.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hmm, I think I have ridden older quads that did as you described with the needing to rev it high to get the clutch to engage, this definitely doesn't feel like that. Hard to explain, but it really just feels like as if you hit the top of second, shifted and ended up in 4th going up hill. The higher the gear, the more you feel like you are really ******* the motor to keep the quad pushing forward and it's hard to climb rpm's.

I am pretty sure I adjusted the clutch a few years back when I did the axle (I've only ridden the quad a few times since then). I remember I was having trouble getting it into gears so I followed the service manual and adjusted something, I just can't recall what. Definitely worth a look though as maybe I didn't do it right. If not, I will definitely check the clutches. What could be wrong inside the gearbox ?

Do you think a compression issue could cause this? My gut instinct is that it isn't down on power, but it is a very old motor.

Thanks for your help!

Old 10-22-2016, 08:01 AM
Pro Rider

If it's not the clutch, might be a weak spark, once you load it down, starts to misfire. Maybe coil. if you have an inline fuel filter, perhaps change it. Probably is clutch related, though.