Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

1987 Honda Foreman trx350D no spark

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 07:59 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Collar Bones: Boy, you sure know your ATV electrical. Your getting right into the spirit of the forums with your diagnostic help of new member RK44.

Keep going. I'll bet you guys can get the problem solved.

David

Old 03-17-2017, 08:26 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks dbj216, but you give me too much credit. A lot of the time I'm only as good as my manual or google-fu, other days I'm dumber than a bag of hammers.

Just happens that I'm troubleshooting the same machine at about the same pace. I'm waiting for warmer weather while the cylinder soaks in Marvel Mystery Oil, so I can find out if the smoke is going to stop or I'm doing piston and rings.

If I was RK44, I'd download the repair manual and go through this in steps. We've jumped the neutral switch, so then try to rule out the kill switch, then next do a bypass jumper on the Fuel Cut relay, because I'm thinking it can kill the spark too, besides cutting off the fuel pump. Fuel Cut relay is under the right rear fender, in a box, if I recall it's also tied to the CDI. Have seen that many people have just bypassed this Fuel Cut to avoid future problems with it.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Bypassing

Originally Posted by Collar Bones
Thanks dbj216, but you give me too much credit. A lot of the time I'm only as good as my manual or google-fu, other days I'm dumber than a bag of hammers.

Just happens that I'm troubleshooting the same machine at about the same pace. I'm waiting for warmer weather while the cylinder soaks in Marvel Mystery Oil, so I can find out if the smoke is going to stop or I'm doing piston and rings.

If I was RK44, I'd download the repair manual and go through this in steps. We've jumped the neutral switch, so then try to rule out the kill switch, then next do a bypass jumper on the Fuel Cut relay, because I'm thinking it can kill the spark too, besides cutting off the fuel pump. Fuel Cut relay is under the right rear fender, in a box, if I recall it's also tied to the CDI. Have seen that many people have just bypassed this Fuel Cut to avoid future problems with it.
By passed the fuel pump grounded the green wire with red stripe still no spark checking the kill switch this afternoon new coil spark plug new CDI last thing left is pulse pick up

Old 03-17-2017, 08:41 AM
Trailblazer

Ok, sounds like you're on your way.

I still haven't found the pulse coil wire yet, supposed to be one blue/yellow wire on the right side near the kickstart. Test the wire between frame ground and pulse coil, should get 300-360 ohms.

Just to be clear... For the fuel pump, you jumpered the blue/green and black/blue at the Fuel Cut relay? I'm asking because if you only hot wired the fuel pump, that wouldn't bypass the Fuel Cut relay, in case it's also killing the spark.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Fuel pump

Cut the fuel cut really when relay went bad straight wired to when ignition switch is on pump kicks on was running when my CDI went bad circut board was cracked in 4 places replaced with a new OEM HA7-CI751 CDI box now sems to be missing a kill switch wire only can find black wire with white stripe no black and green wire?

Old 03-17-2017, 10:43 AM
Trailblazer

Was able to find the black/green in the handlebar switch, but it seemed to be running somewhere in the multi-switch besides the kill switch. I stopped checking because I had already gotten spark, and I knew the previous owner had rigged the kill sw. Off is run, and run is off on mine.

Maybe you can find the two wires farther down the harness and jumper them together?

Wiring diagram shows the black/white on a separate and single plug farther down the harness, probably a bullet connector. Shows the black/green on a 4-pin plug along with three other wires colored Green, Brown, and Yellow/Red stripe.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Quads back to life!!!

Found the black and green wire and crossed with the black and white stripe wire and got spark the beast is finally back to life someone had cut and changed the kill switch and left the black and green stripe wire off thank y'all for all y'all's help and support road the quad all day with a gravity fed tank now to check on a fuel pump and fuel relay and thanks again for all the help!!!

Old 03-18-2017, 10:18 PM
Trailblazer

Glad to hear you got it going.

I see pumps on ebay under $20, and OEM pumps at $125. Mine has the cheap pump, it's still going.

I plan to bypass that fuel cut relay, just to avoid future problems.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:44 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fun to read you fella had success. Collar Bones was a big help, and RK44 digs right in to it to get it resolved. Sparking and running again! I'm afraid such wiring searches are beyond me a bit, but I'm willing to learn.

RK44 learn a lot about his quad.

David