Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Suggestions to help 2017 Rancher 420 ride quality?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 09:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Suggestions to help 2017 Rancher 420 ride quality?

I just recently purchased a new 2017 Rancher 420 4x4 foot shift. It's straight axle, no power steering. It felt good at the dealership and at home cruising around the field. The selling point for me was Honda, shaft driven, and footshift. I hate belts and automatics!

It hauls my WaveRunner trailer and a variety of loads well around the house. Although, I went trail riding this weekend in a wooded, rocky, and rooted area this weekend. A few minutes in I realized I was getting bucked around worse than anyone I was with. It wore me out, I'm still sore today. I got pretty discouraged with my quad purchase after this outing.

I'm a fairly experienced rider, more so with dirt bikes. I owned a Ozark 250 years ago and I swear that thing handled a trail a lot better than this Rancher.

The preload shock settings were on standard which is a notch above the lowest. I figured this is a regular rider setting? I weigh around 155.

When I got home I lowered it to the softest setting and it feels a little more loose. It corners better that's for sure. Not sure how much of a difference it will make. I plan on riding in this same terrain.

Will putting bigger tires on this thing help any and what are your suggestions? I'm not a mud rider, I enjoy trails. The tires on here are 24" which I consider relatively small.

Thank you guys for reading! I look forward to hearing your advice. I joined this forum a long time ago and I'm glad to still see it around.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:21 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Did you check the tyre pressures. At the dealership, we tend to over-inflate them to ensure they have a good seal on the rim. The springs will also soften with use, bikes that regularly carry 1/4 ton of feeding blocks on the racks, come in for service a lot lower and softer than a shiny new one. The 420s ride is a bit "old school" I have noticed the old air cooled 500 and the Rubicon, had a better ride than the 420, don't know if the new one has, as we have only sold one new style 500 so far.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:04 AM
Pro Rider

You may be able to find better aftermarket shocks. I have an Arctic Cat "Super Duty 700 diesel, rides like a 1 ton pickup. I know a few guys went to (Elka) shocks and swear the ride is awesome. Hard to believe, as if I put another 200 lb guy in the 2 up seat, it's barely changes, maybe 3/4 ton.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

merryman, I have ridden an older pre 05 Foreman and I would agree it rode substantially better. I did the boot test on the tires which they seemed to be ok. Although, I'll throw the pressure gauge on it to see if I can come down a little bit on the pressure.

These shocks definitely feel like they'd rather carry a load than absorb terrain. Which it is a Rancher... I'd probably like to try some larger tires designed for the type of riding I do before I dip into shocks.

Any recommendations on tires? I want to do a 26" tire I believe. The back wheels are 11" which is strange to me. I may have to swap the wheels. I have ridden on a Kodiak 400 with Mudlite XL's and they felt pretty comfortable on the trails.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider

Honda builds their bikes to work and last a long time. Ride was way down the list. If you want a Caddy ride, hard to beat a Polaris. My friends ride Hondas and Polarizes and Grizzlies and a Kawasaki thrown in, I'm the strange old guy with Arctic Cats, haha. Your Honda can probably do this (my AC 500) with a 3,500 LB Load, the zippy fast soft riding guys can't.

Attached Thumbnails Suggestions to help 2017 Rancher 420 ride quality?-p1010154.jpg  
Old 03-20-2017, 09:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by hydrex
Honda builds their bikes to work and last a long time. Ride was way down the list. If you want a Caddy ride, hard to beat a Polaris. My friends ride Hondas and Polarizes and Grizzlies and a Kawasaki thrown in, I'm the strange old guy with Arctic Cats, haha. Your Honda can probably do this (my AC 500) with a 3,500 LB Load, the zippy fast soft riding guys can't.
Haha, I have no doubt I can haul loads! Hopefully I can get her to play a little better. I've always liked Artic Cats simply because they are rare around my neck of the woods. It's okay to be that guy hydrex.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:19 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Honda's use of 11" rims is a nuisance, we have to stock both types as we service Suzukis and the 450/500 Hondas, which have 12" rears as well as 300/350 and 420s on 11".

I don't know why you are wanting 26" tyres, as the side wall strength will have a lot more effect on ride than the OD, Executioners will almost stay up when punctured, as the walls are so strong, whereas Wildcats are so soft they come pressed flat in stacks, like pizzas, from the wholesaler.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As far as tires go, a good choice for an agressive tread that is still overall lightweight would be the Maxxis Zillas. 26" and up get the larger lugs, about the same as what the mudlite XLs have but much lighter. They still are a 6 ply tire though. You can probably swap out a set of wheels from a Foreman 500 or Rubicon and get rid of the 11" rear wheels.