Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2004 Honda TRX400FGA New Carb Idles fine but bogs a little on throttle

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 07:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 2004 Honda TRX400FGA New Carb Idles fine but bogs a little on throttle

Hey guys,

I'm working on a 2004 Honda TRX400FGA that I have installed a new carb from wincycles. Now without hardly any adjustment (except the idle adjustment), the atv starts with no issues, it idles with no issue, i can SLOWLY push the throttle and get it to rev up, no problem there. BUT when I hit the gas (even giving medium amount of gas, not gassing it all the way really quickly or anything like that) it bogs a little. I can let off and hit it again occassionally getting it to rev all the way up in a progressive manner with no issue. I know this may be basic from some guys but I'm not a carb guy, but I can learn my way around. This I'm just not quite sure about. This sounds like a air/fuel mixture issue to me. But want someones opinion on this. I don't have the correct tool to adjust the screw that is ON THE BOTTOM of the carb but this might be a painful adjustment. Just to clarify. New fuel, New Petcock valve, New Carb, New Fuel line so i dont think this will anything to do with dirty fuel or clogged filters or clogged carb. If want to understand how I got to this point, you can go here: https://atvconnection.com/forums/technical-how-articles/369565-2004-honda-trx400fga-gas-oil.html

If someone can pretty much confirm this is now a air/fuel mixture issue, i'll try to find a tool or buy one that adjust the mixture. But before I do want to get the local experts opinion first.

Time to school me again guys Again, thanks for any information in advance.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:07 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

"I don't have the correct tool to adjust the screw that is ON THE BOTTOM of the carb" Bit puzzled on this because the only mixture screw is for slow running, and your slow running is OK.

You can get dirt in a new carb so don't assume it is clean. I would try lifting the main jet needle in the dashpot by one groove.

By the way, your link doesn't work.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, sorry about the link, not sure why it did not work, guess you can just do an advanced search for Tazzin and view my post, I only have 3.. hehe, anyhow, I completely forgot about the grooves on the main jet needle. Also, the screw I referring to is, I believe the pilot screw? So with that correction, as soon as I get time I'll pull the top of the carb off and re-adjust the clip on the Jet Needle.
Just to clarify, you are wanting me to move the clip one groove farther away from the point of the needle? or Closer to the point of the needle? I'm sure when you UP you mean towards the top of the carb which would equate to 1 groove farther away from the point of the needle.

Thanks again, merryman

Originally Posted by merryman
"I don't have the correct tool to adjust the screw that is ON THE BOTTOM of the carb" Bit puzzled on this because the only mixture screw is for slow running, and your slow running is OK.

You can get dirt in a new carb so don't assume it is clean. I would try lifting the main jet needle in the dashpot by one groove.

By the way, your link doesn't work.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:14 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

No, move the clip one groove nearer the point, this lifts the needle in the carb. Don't touch the pilot screw unless you can't get it to idle with the slow running stop screw.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Awesome, thanks for the clarification. i'll get on asap (which might be next week). I'm going out of town this coming Friday/weekend so not sure I'll get to before then.

Originally Posted by merryman
No, move the clip one groove nearer the point, this lifts the needle in the carb. Don't touch the pilot screw unless you can't get it to idle with the slow running stop screw.