Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2002 honda foreman 500 wont move.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 03:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 honda foreman 500 wont move.

ok I have a hard one, this is my first time to work on a hondamatic so help needed. ok this atv starts and runs and is not flashing any codes. if I select forward or reverse on the shifter and rev up it will barely move forward or reverse after reving up. so I figured it was the clutch slipping because that's what it acts like. so took apart the clutch and it looks fine, plenty of clutch, springs are good nothing looks bad at all. So I put it all back together with fresh oil and still the same thing, acts like a slipping clutch. so why the engine was running in forward I would rev it up and I noticed a strange noise, it seems the electric shift motor is turning with the engine at all times. I Did notice when I had the front cover off there is a small gear that the shift motor turns, so I turned it with my finger. it turned very easy and would turn freely a few turns one direction then lock up, so I turned it the other direction a few turns and would lock up that way. so with the engine back together and running I unplugged the shift motor and hook it up straight to another battery and it would work the lock up one direction, so I would reverse the wires and it will spin until it locks up again. any ideas??? Thank you