Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

trying to decide between a 2017 honda rubicon DCT or a 2017 grizz 700

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 09:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Of all the quads I've ridden over the years, the Rincon is the one I hated the most. Non-adjustable shocks that rode like a brick. I hated the 3 speed with a passion. Why they didn't match it up to a five speed is beyond me. The 3 speed transmission's 1st gear is not low enough. Almost every machine I've been on has had some form of engine braking or another. The Rincon's 3 speed going down a hill is exciting when you don't want it to be. I tested it over and over again going downhill. Put it in 1st and let it coast. Didn't really start engaging until about 15 mph. That's way to fast if you're using engine braking on a hill you want to go down slowly.

Long story, short, of the two I'd get the Grizzly.

I REALLY thought I'd test drive the honda and grizz and walk away with a grizz. However the ride really sucked. Search up how the grizz pushes in turns. It's really shitty handling. It rolls all over. It left me thinking its one of the worst riding ATV's I've been on. It's not a solid feeling ride at all.

So I went home and searched "2017 grizzly problems" and I found lots of complainging about the ride. But then I found some information about people having a very hard time getting replacement parts. I did more digging and it seems yamaha out sourced for some major parts.

-The diff's are not yamaha. They are some company that makes diff's for lawnmowers called "tuff torq"

-the engine is not a yamaha entirely. It's designed by robin and yamaha and built by subaru.

It makes sense that yamaha is going to ditch the single cylinder any time now. Not sure if I want to buy a yamaha full of non yamaha parts that are only in 2 years of atv's (assuming yamaha doing twin cylinders next year).

It's scary for me to think about buying this atv.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by maybehonda
I REALLY thought I'd test drive the honda and grizz and walk away with a grizz. However the ride really sucked. Search up how the grizz pushes in turns. It's really shitty handling. It rolls all over. It left me thinking its one of the worst riding ATV's I've been on. It's not a solid feeling ride at all.

So I went home and searched "2017 grizzly problems" and I found lots of complainging about the ride. But then I found some information about people having a very hard time getting replacement parts. I did more digging and it seems yamaha out sourced for some major parts.

-The diff's are not yamaha. They are some company that makes diff's for lawnmowers called "tuff torq"

-the engine is not a yamaha entirely. It's designed by robin and yamaha and built by subaru.

It makes sense that yamaha is going to ditch the single cylinder any time now. Not sure if I want to buy a yamaha full of non yamaha parts that are only in 2 years of atv's (assuming yamaha doing twin cylinders next year).

It's scary for me to think about buying this atv.
The Grizzly is high for such a narrow quad while the Honda is lower to the ground and doesn't have much clearance. Must be something with the newer Yamahas. I know about a half dozen guys with Grizzlies and they haven't had any complaints. Robin is owned by Subaru. Good engines. Haven't heard much about the rest as I buy two person quads and haven't been keeping up with Yamaha.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

FYI there is no actual statement by Yamaha or Subaru that is proof the engine is not made/designed by Yamaha on the 708CC. LOTS of internet rumors though.

Go to Yamaha and Subaru's site and see that the only engines shared are for generators, pumps and something else. Nothing about power sports.

Old 06-13-2017, 04:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just traded my 2011 Foreman for 2017 Rubicon. The Foreman had 15000km on it spent $45.00 on repairs other than scheduled maintenance. I realise they are under powered but reliability was key for me. The slow going into 4X4 is kinda a pain but with power steering I drive in 4X4 more and the diff lock is great but is slow to engage

Old 06-13-2017, 07:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Too be honest, I probably wouldn't buy either one of them. For the same money(or less) there are simply better options out there. If you don't need diff-lock, the Yamaha Kodiak 700 costs a lot less than the Grizzly. The Can-Am Outlander 570L costs less than either of these too. The Grizzly will have a bit more low end power than the 570L but the 570L has tons more power than the Rubicon. The Polaris Sportsman 570 is a good value for the features and power you get. And there is obviously the Kawasaki Brute Force 750 which costs about the same as the Grizzly and Rubicon and outperforms either of them. Only real downside for the Brute Force is that it probably has the worst fuel economy of any big bore quad out there, if that matters at all. Its better now with efi than the older dual carb models like mine but still behind the rest.