2000 Rancher ES Blowes main fuse - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Old 09-21-2017, 04:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Default 2000 Rancher ES Blowes main fuse

New here and can use some help. Neighbor has a 2000 Rancher ES blows main fuse with key off. Problem started when riding, just died, found blown fuse. Rigged up test light to each side of main fuse spades. The only way the light will go out is to disconnect the dash, rectifier and key switch. What do these three things have in common. Or does he have 3 different problems. Limited tools, working at the deer camp.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider

I know you have checked it, but if the fuse blows when the ignition is off, it is always the regulator. Disconnect that, re-connect the ignition and dash and see if the fuse still blows, my guess is that it won't.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks fot the quick reply. That's one of the three components (RECTIFIER, REGULATOR) that I have unplugged for the fuse not to blow. The thing is I need all three for the fuse not to blow.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ordered a regulator/rectifier. Will swap this out and keep going. The regulator/rectifier looks damaged near the mounting bolts
Old 09-25-2017, 06:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Installed the new rectifier, that's not the problem. Started going through the harness looking for bad wires, no luck yet. I have checked about 1/3 of the harness so far. Don't know what I moved but now the 30amp engine fuse now blows with the key off.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:39 AM
Pro Rider

If the fuse blows with the key off, the fault is in the wires between main fuse and ignition switch. All that is in that circuit is the regulator, so if the regulator is OK, a red wire from main fuse to regulator or to ignition switch has shorted out, or the switch has shorted internally. Unplug the switch and check if the fault is still on. If it is, check those two red wires all the way from main fuse to regulator to switch. As it is a short to earth, it is less likely to be inside the loom, so check where the red is visible first.