Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Need an assist with 1990 trx200 motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 08:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need an assist with 1990 trx200 motor

Hey guys, ive recently brought the fourtrax 200 back to life. It ran fine prior to sitting for a number of years. went through the carb and she started right away after reconnecting everything. However, the motor does make a sound in the exhaust not at an idle but if it were a high idle or through the rpms there is ticking, most obvious at the tail pipe rather than the motor. See first video I wondered if its valve adjustment? even tho it runs good.

My second issue came after about 10 ,imutes of idling, it got a poor idle quality and began to sputter a bit and backfire. Would this be caused from a weak battery since the one ive boosted it with is crap? see video 2

Any input is appreciated, im used to v8's haha

Old 10-04-2017, 08:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exhaust - you could have a loose baffle or something like that...take the muffler off and shake it to see if anything is loose in there. You can also run your machine without the muffler to see if you still hear the noise...

Poor Idle - 9 times out of 10 poor idle is a symptom of a clogged pilot/idle jet. Not sure what you did to bring it back to life, but if there is no fuel filter before the carb then something might have made its way into the bowl. I'd definitely confirm spark as well...