Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda Rancher not charging, Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 02:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Rancher not charging, Please Help

2006 TRX 350 TE . Battery is at 12.5V when engine is off. When the engine is running it drops to to 11V instead of rising to 13+ V. I tested the stator. It passed the ohm test (0.5ohm all around). I did a diode test on the Rectifier regulator. It passed the diode test. Does anyone have any ideas? I pulled the stator off to see if there was any blackened coils. None. I'm pretty handy, but I'm no expert. Is there any other tests I should run? Any ideas? Thank you for your help.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:40 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Wow, you went to the trouble of removing the stator rather than trying a new regulator? We have regulators on the shelf, so when a 350 doesn't charge we fit a new one. If that doesn't work, we test the stator coils, but most important test is, are the coils earthed? If they are, you have a faulty stator. If they aren't, you still may have a faulty stator, but the next test is battery power to the regulator, not volts, so test for this with a test lamp between pos and neg wire pins in the regulator plug. If the lamp doesn't shine brightly you have a high resistance in one of these wires between battery and regulator. For some electronic reason, this causes the reg to stop feeding charge to the battery.