Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

No spark 1996 Honda TRX300

Old 10-16-2017, 08:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hogg, thanks for the information. I will try to remember to post my outcome when I get things under control., lol. You have been a great help to me. This 4-wheeler was passed on to me by my father and has a lot of memories of the days when we would ride the mountain trails in West Virginia.on weekends when I would visit him. Great times

Bob

The following users liked this post:
Boosza2000 (07-28-2021)
Old 10-17-2017, 02:46 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

If your CDI is bad, check that the earth wire to it is OK and, when running, check the voltage across the battery as, if it goes over 15v, it fries the CDI and you don't want your new CDI frying.

Don't know why Papa Hog Scoot thinks Ricks stuff is good. Our "non genuine parts" supplier has recently started sending Ricks parts, and quality is very poor, with Made in Taiwan or Made in China stickers, and you can get Chinese CDIs for a lot less on eBay. Hope your CDI is a two plug type, as the single plug and two bullet type fitted 96 onwards, is a lot more expensive to replace.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Merryman thanks for the input. I will check the earth ground and voltage across the battery. As for the CDI box it is the two box type. As for Ebay I purchased a Cheapo $15 replacement when I originally suspected the CDI was bad, but apparently it was faulty as well . With the new one I didn't even get a spark when I released the starter button. I think I will put it back on and check for a good earth ground. Regardless, It is amazing how the prices of these boxes on Ebay have such a wide range, from $8 and up.. Is there any specific sellers on Ebay that you or others on the forum can recommend to me. I am not a cheapo, but if a $15 box solves my problem why would I want to pay more.

Bob

Old 10-17-2017, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Merryman I have been selling Ricks cdi and stator over 25 years ZERO returns or defective.....Hmmmmmm you have other way to install.I was just giving my best advice you really get what you pay for I guess.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:32 AM
Elite Pro Rider

"I have been selling Ricks cdi and stator over 25 years ZERO returns or defective"

All I can say is we have had both Ricks CDIs and voltage regulators that have lasted a very short time, and I always check the wires to the CDI and the voltage at the battery after fitting a new CDI, to make sure some other fault hasn't been overloading the CDI. Can't be certain if it was Ricks or not, but our supplier recently sent a stator that had mounting holes that were too small, and when I checked the coils, they were earthed, luckily as I checked the coils before fitting it to the engine, they did take it back, and we got the old one rewound. You can't say "you get what you pay for" with Chinese stuff, as price depends on the greed of the "middle man" who imports it.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Merryman Im not here to butt heads and Im going to im on my free time here to try to help others that are in need like Mr Bobemartin needs just trying help the person out a little advice of my over 30 years in powersport service n pair not to butt heads with other we all have each opinions let just focus on help an add advice to the needed. Thanks Papa hogg scoot

Old 10-19-2017, 03:22 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Agreed, despite the odd failure, I still fit Ricks stuff, because that is what our supplier sends, and they are so much cheaper than buying genuine. Just can't recommend any brand as have had failures with all we have used up to now.

Old 07-28-2021, 07:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CDI box

Originally Posted by papa hogg scoot
Well PAPA my head is spinning reguarding the post's about 1996 TRX300fw CDI box. Yes mine will start when letting off the button but after a few moments ideling it stalls. When it's ideling if I hit the gas fast it boggs down. SOOOOOOOOO I just ordered a CDI box from Rick's and I pray it's the solution, and yes my front end is hanging down on the garage floor waiting for the part.