Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

No spark 1996 Honda TRX300

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 07:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No spark 1996 Honda TRX300

I got a no spark situation with my ATV. Here is where I am in tracing it out. without going into a lot of detail. Finally after several weeks of trial and error I was finally able to get one spark when I released the start button. At that point I decided to call it a day and left the garage. When I return the next day I pick up right where I left off. So, I grounded the plug against the engine block to check for sparks. Remember the day before I only had one spark when I released the starter button, but for some strange reason I had constant sparks during this cranking. OMG, it's a miracle. SoI immediately I put the plug back in the machine and it started right up with no problem. So at this point I had a running ATV. I stopped and started it several times. Unfortunately I had an oil leak at the bottom of the stator cover and a broken bolt that needed attention. I order a new gasket and got the broken bolt out. When gasket show up I removed the cover and install the gasket. Everything was good to go, I thought. Now for the rest of the horror story. I reach up turn on the key, push the starter button and all I heard was cranking, cranking cranking, but no start up. I took the plug out and sure enough when I check for sparks I was back to one spark when I released the start button again. Very discouraging to say the least. The only good thing about this mess is that I know it will run if I can find the weak link in the electrical chain to get the rest of my sparks back.

Okay, so much for the problem introduction. Now, has anyone every had this one spark only when releasing the start button and figured out where the other cranking sparks were hiding. I would suspect a faulty part, but would one specific part be more likely to cause this one spark event that I am having. Anyone had this problem before and solved it. Thought I would ask, before continuing the hunt for sparks by trouble shooting the ignition system. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bob

Old 10-15-2017, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Honda had recall on mid 1995 model and all 1996 cdi boxes...Only would spark when released starter button I would start with an new cdi box because of history or my try tapping on cdi box with an srcewdriver handle first[I know redneck way but hay Ive been tapping on these cdi over 20 years] Good Luck..Oh yeah cdi box is up front under front fender in center hanging on rubber mounts the bigger of the 2 boxes

Old 10-15-2017, 09:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey papa I had read on another forum about the bad CDI box and got a new one that I had on standby and I installed it this afternoon. I bet you will never guess what I now see on the plug. That's right, no spark at all now, lol. It was an after market box so who knows the quality of the device. I will do some testing on it tomorrow and put the old one back on a start tapping, lol. As I said before, I know those little sparks are hanging around some where before I found them about a week ago and then they went back in hiding. I will let you know how things turn out.

Thanks,
Bob

Old 10-15-2017, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

Has atv been hit in front end? has front rack been push back toward rear? there an diode in front of steering stem under fender inside junction box where key switch plugs in..check it to see if diode is ok..should measure closed one way an open the other way I have photo below #11 photo

Old 10-15-2017, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider
Old 10-15-2017, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider

PLEASE keep us posted

Old 10-16-2017, 10:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey there Mr. Hogg you nailed it. I put the old CDI back on and tap, tap, tap and I found the sparks and it started right up, but with a lot of back firing, which I assume one could expect with a bad CDI. . Now moving on. I check out the price of the OEM CDI on Ronnie's Mail Order, but the price was a little more then I want to invest in this part. Do you or any one else know where I can find a replacement CDI that will work for less money?

Thanks for your help.
Bob

Old 10-16-2017, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

Ricks Electric has the BEST aftermarket let me see if I can get information for you

Old 10-16-2017, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider
Old 10-16-2017, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider

Also may want to replace spark plug with new ngk dpr8ea-9 because of all the starting up it could be gas foul some