Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2005 recon stalls when put in 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 06:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 recon stalls when put in 1st gear

I picked up a 05 recon manuel shift for cheap bike was ruff cleaned carb it runs perfect in idle . When i put it in 1st gear it stalls i can put in reverse and it backs up but want idle in reverse . I can rev it up and go to 1st gear it jumps forward sometimes it stalls sometimes it takes off once going it goes threw the gears up and down no problems but in 1st it stalls if i try to stop and idle iam thinking cdi box cause it it was the bearing or clutches it wouldnt go threw the gears an i right in thinking this

Old 11-14-2017, 02:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

There are two clutches, on the crankshaft a centrifugal, lawnmower style clutch. Brake shoes attached to the crankshaft fly out when you rev up and grab a brake drum which drives a conventional multiplate motorcycle clutch fitted to the gearbox mainshaft. Instead of a handlebar lever, the first part of moving the gearchange pedal, operates the clutch, second part changes gear, then when you let your foot off, the clutch re-engages. Either the idle is too high, and the centrifugal clutch is grabbing at your chosen idle speed, or there is something wrong with it. The bearing the drum runs on is a one way clutch, so this could also be a source of problems. Make sure the idle speed is as low as possible in neutral without stalling, and if it still won't idle in first, take the centrifugal clutch apart. The CDI produces the spark, nothing else, so can't be your problem.

Old 05-29-2020, 04:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merryman
There are two clutches, on the crankshaft a centrifugal, lawnmower style clutch. Brake shoes attached to the crankshaft fly out when you rev up and grab a brake drum which drives a conventional multiplate motorcycle clutch fitted to the gearbox mainshaft. Instead of a handlebar lever, the first part of moving the gearchange pedal, operates the clutch, second part changes gear, then when you let your foot off, the clutch re-engages. Either the idle is too high, and the centrifugal clutch is grabbing at your chosen idle speed, or there is something wrong with it. The bearing the drum runs on is a one way clutch, so this could also be a source of problems. Make sure the idle speed is as low as possible in neutral without stalling, and if it still won't idle in first, take the centrifugal clutch apart. The CDI produces the spark, nothing else, so can't be your problem.
i have this problem i turned idle down an still not fixed

Old 05-30-2020, 02:20 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

If someone has recently been "fixing the clutch" it is almost certain to be something not re-assembled properly. Usually the centrifugal clutch fitted backwards. If it started doing this on its own, then more likely to be a shoe spring broken so the centrifugal clutch is engaged all the time. Either way, those centrifugal and one way clutches will have to be removed and checked.