Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Want to get a new 4 wheeler

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 10:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to get a new 4 wheeler

Hi, I've been wanting to get a used 4 wheeler but don't know what i want to get. I do however want to be able to hit 55mph and im looking for something that will last a while but im not able to pay over $3,500

Old 12-03-2017, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Most brands are well made today but when looking at used it all comes down to how the machine was taken care of!! Most anything in the 500 range will do 55 mph, not sure why you want to go that fast, very few places you will be able to go anywhere near that fast. On a paved road at 55 mph they get squirely as all get out and are just looking for an accident. I personally look for power to climb hills and get thru snow and mud, rarely have I ever had the chance to go over 40 mph. Anyway you need to shop hard and look close at whatever you buy. I would stay away from Honda electric shift models as they are troublesome and very expensive to fix. A good CVT drive machine is very reliable and tows more than an autoclutch machine. I would worry more about condition than the brand name. Try finding an older owner as they are much more likely to maintain the machine and not abuse it....good luck!!

Old 12-03-2017, 01:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you just want something to go fast, the used sport quads cost a lot less than a used 4x4 utility machine. You could buy something like a Raptor 700 in great shape for less than $3500 and its a machine that will do around 80 mph. Most sport quads do have a manual clutch so if you haven't had experiecne in using a motorcycle or atv with a manual clutch, its a bit tricky to figure out. If you want a fast 4x4 utility machine, I'd look at something like a Grizzly 660 or Polaris Sportsman 500 or larger. They made a 600, 700 and 800 as well but the 800 would be hard to find for that price. They also made a Scrambler 500 4x4 and there are a lot of them out there used in the $2500 range in good shape. It kinda looks like a sport quad but has cvt auto and 4x4 like a utility machine and is pretty fast and sporty too. I think the Scrambler 500(also was made in a 2wd version as well) is probably going to be the best value for a relatively inexpensive and fast 4x4 atv. They didn't come standard with any racks but most added them and a lot of the used ones will have an accessory rear rack, nice to have to carry a cooler.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider

First thing I did when I got my Arctic Cat 700 was to see how fast it would go. Second thing I did was reclutch to reduce top speed and give even more bottom end. 70 mph on an ATV was more than I need to go, now it tops out at 60. My best friend has a modded 1000 Turbo RZR, 1 ride with him, I got my speed fix. BTW, most 400-500 cc ATV's will hit 55mph, my old AC 400 manual shift would.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:54 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ATVs are not built for speed. They are built for off road operation. They are designed with a high center of gravity and a short, narrow wheel base. The tip and flip easily. They might be called "bikes" but they are nothing like a motorcycle. Me thinks you have much to learn about the ATV hobby. So did I when I started out.

First thing to do is list what you want to do with this machine. Trail ride, mud bogs, farm chores, plowing snow, camping trips, hunting, and the like. I got mine for mountain trail riding here in Colorado. The trails are rough and challenging. I average about 15 mph trail riding.

David

Old 12-12-2017, 05:04 PM
Country Rider

Because you want to go fast you should get a sport quad. If you want a solid bike thats good for trails get a 400ex. If you want a quad that can rip but has a bad low end check out the raptor 700. And if you want an all around bike thats best on tracks check out and sport 450 such as yfz 450