ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Honda (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/)
-   -   85-87 Honda trx250 motor on Go-Cart, No Spark (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/374470-85-87-honda-trx250-motor-go-cart-no-spark.html)

nitrokev 12-24-2017 10:52 PM

85-87 Honda trx250 motor on Go-Cart, No Spark

3 Attachment(s)
Hello, and Merry Christmas! I’ve got a Go-cart that looks to be homemade, and it has a Honda 250cc atv or atc engine. When I first got it, the wiring harness was kind of hanging out in the open, After a little bit of work I got it running shortly after I got it. The choke was stuck, so I got it fixed at my local atv shop, took about 2 weeks, upon installing the carb, it backfired a few times like a shotgun, I did get it to run for a few mins, from then on I had zero spark,

New parts tried:spark plug, pulse generator, CDI Box, ignition coil tested with another known good one.

Disconnected black/white wire from cdi to eliminate kill switch...no spark still.
Battery is new,
I’m not sure how to check pulse generator gap, I do have feeler gauge, multimeter, I’ve been checking ohms, one thing im not sure about is the exciter coil, can someone please tell me how the exciter coil and the pulse coil work together? And please help me get spark back. Also I have checked continuity on wires from ign. Coil to cdi,

merryman 12-25-2017 03:19 AM

The exciter coil provides the power for the spark, the pulse or "trigger" coil determines when it sparks.

Not sure about the 250, but most Hondas had a lockout on the CDI that increased the spark in neutral, in fact, you can't usually get a spark when spinning the engine over on the starter, unless the neutral wire is fitted.

nitrokev 12-25-2017 06:18 AM

Thank you for your quick response! I didn’t mention, I bought this go-cart as a Christmas gift for my two adopted Ukrainian Brother in laws, who are 15 and 17, and need to learn the basics of driving a motorized vehicle.
Now, I’m a little confused Merryman, but you did bring one thing to my mind, so my neutral position light comes on in neutral, when I swap my light bulb to reverse and put it in reverse, the light bulb does not turn on???

nitrokev 12-25-2017 06:23 AM

Up to date pic

2 Attachment(s)
If anyone wants to see anything on my go cart, please let me know.

merryman 12-26-2017 03:38 AM

If the neutral light works, check if there is a wire from it to the CDI. The trigger coil will not be adjustable, in fact it looks like the one used on all modern Hondas. It may be worth spinning the engine over and checking the voltages produced by the trigger and exciter coils (AC). On the 300 version Honda complicated the set up, but on the 250 the classic AC CDI system was used, there isn't a lot to go wrong. So, check the earth lead to CDI is earthed, the trigger and exciter coils are making AC volts at the CDI, that the blue/yellow from CDI is producing a high voltage spike to the coil with engine turning. That the neutral wire (grey or pale green) is either earthed, or live (with battery power) at the CDI.

nitrokev 12-26-2017 05:19 AM

Will do as soon as I can.

nitrokev 12-27-2017 03:36 PM

I also didn’t mention I checked voltage at the ignition coil, a blackW/yellow wire and a green wire, and it spike all the way to 30 volts in dc I believe. I checked it in ac and dc, and both were high voltage spikes. I’m going to check the trigger and the excited right now

nitrokev 12-27-2017 03:44 PM

Yes there is a light Greenw/red wire from the neutral light to the CDI Box.

nitrokev 12-27-2017 03:54 PM

Okay, so the black with red wire going to the excited coil spiked up to 78 volts
And the blue with yellow wire going to trigger didn’t give me any reading.
And I did replace the trigger coil.

merryman 12-28-2017 03:09 AM

My apologies, I only have the diagram for the 200ES engine at home. "blue/yellow from CDI is producing a high voltage spike to the coil" should be "black/yellow from CDI is producing a high voltage spike to the ignition coil". As you are getting one it must be a faulty ignition coil, or the earth wire to coil faulty. Hondas colour code the connectors to the ignition coil, have you got green wire to green connector and black/yellow to black connector?