Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

ahhhhh!!! I don't know crap about gps and what to buy, teach me!!! LOL

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2001, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been thinking of buying a gps lately but i'm not sure which one to buy.
To tell the truth i dont know crap about GPS so that's making it harder to choose. I do know that with most of the better models you can download maps for better detail, but i have a few questions.
-What if i dont download a map to the gps, what comes up and what do i see? (shows how little i know)
-If i were to get something like the Garmin gps 12 would i be able to see streets, roads, highways, etc on it?
-How much detail do you usually see with a until like that? Will i see side roads and streets, or just bigger roads like state highways?
-If i dont see a road that i'm on (or if i'm in the woods) can i mark where i am?

Can anyone please answer these questions and tell me whatever else i need to know about gps units.
Is there a unit anyone can recommend, i want something with a load of detail.

Old 04-23-2001, 12:19 AM
Trailblazer

Mike,
I just bought a new Lowrance GlobalMap 100 GPS but I am far from the expert. I will try and help you out.

The big difference is the cheaper ones only tell you speed, bearing, etc......
The more expensive ones come loaded with maps and show you your position on a map. I paid 200 bucks for mine to have this function.

What I do is set a "waypoint" at my starting position and continue to set waypoints every mile or so. So, in essence, if I get lost in the woods on my ATV, the GPS will give me directions back to each waypoint in order to backtrack my route.

Here is a page that compares the functions of the most popular models:
http://www.gps4fun.com/compare3.html

I hope this helps a little.

Old 04-23-2001, 04:32 AM
JRM
Pro Rider

I have the Garmin III+ found at http://garmin.com/products/gpsIIIp/
and the unit alone has every main road in the US already in it along with all the exit data for every interstate. After you download the maps from a mapsource CD it shows every road, creek, lake no matter how small. It shows every road I have been on, and all GPS untis will leave a trail where you have gone for easy backtracking. The garmin saves these trails and I Upload them into my PC so I can see where I rode and save them for future trips. Every friend I have has been amazed at the detail of the Garmin E-map and III+ models.

Old 04-23-2001, 07:23 AM
Trailblazer

I've got a Garmin III+ and it's a nice little unit. Whichever one you choose, I recommend getting one that displays a map, not just the coordinates. Downloading local area maps is no big deal either, and you get so much more detail than what comes on pre-programmed.

If you're familiar with the newsgroups on UseNet .. seach for "gps" .. and you'll find a discussion group where you can read great info .. and ask questions.

I think the group is alt.satelite.gps

Download a newgroup reader like Free Agent, and it makes newgroup participation more fun. Also, there's an atv group out there too.