Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2009 honda rubicon idles fine but spits and sputters when you press the throttle.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 07:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 honda rubicon idles fine but spits and sputters when you press the throttle.

I have a 2009 Honda rubicon that has an intermittent problem. Some times when i switch on the ignition and start the engine, the bike will idle perfectly but will spit and spudder when i press the throttle. If I turn the ignition key off and on and start the bike again it will work fine. some times i might have to turn the ignition key off/on several times.
Can anybosy help me out with this one?

Old 04-02-2018, 07:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If it does it with the fuel cap off and you have a good fuel supply to the carb,that would eliminate a vacuum problem.It could be as simple as trash or a bit of water in the bottom of the fuel bowl or tank.If that checks out ok,then could be electrical,in the switch itself or something of that nature. There's a member named merryman from across the pond that knows Honda atvs' inside out.He's usually on in the wee hours of the morning. If anyone can help,he should be able to help you track down the problem...

Old 04-02-2018, 07:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks but I do not think it is the fuel supply because after i switch the ignition off/on again the bikes runs perfectly without any trouble. I think it is an electrical issue myself but I don't know where to start as it is intermittent and most times working fine when I go to troubleshoot. However I just did a code retrieval and code 10 flashed. (fail safe relay circuit malfunction). Not really sure if this code has anything to do with the issue or not because the code does not flash on the screen when the problem occurs.
Hopefully Merryman has seen this problem before. Thanks again.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:42 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Seems like the symptoms of the fail safe coming in. As to the cause, it could be anywhere in the wiring or an ECU fault. All you can do is check all wiring connectors, and wires for splits or rodent damage. If nothing is found it may be best to get the dealer to check it over. We had one that even the dealer couldn't find, though they did say it was definitely a wiring fault, fitting another harness cured it.