ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Honda (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/)
-   -   Honda TRX300 Stalling Out (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/376994-honda-trx300-stalling-out.html)

bobemartin 09-14-2018 04:14 PM

Honda TRX300 Stalling Out

With the help of You Tube videos I replace the Carb on my Honda 300. Now to my current problem which may be related or not. I got the Carb adjusted and idling pretty good for an old hillbilly, but when I took it for a test drive thing didn't work out very good. When in neutral the old girl does -great, but when I put it in gear and engage the throttle the old girl stalls out. If I pull out real easy it continues to run, but will stall out if I speed up to fast
Thanks for any help.
Bob

Chad913 09-14-2018 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by bobemartin (Post 3403290)
With the help of You Tube videos I replace the Carb on my Honda 300. Now to my current problem which may be related or not. I got the Carb adjusted and idling pretty good for an old hillbilly, but when I took it for a test drive thing didn't work out very good. When in neutral the old girl does -great, but when I put it in gear and engage the throttle the old girl stalls out. If I pull out real easy it continues to run, but will stall out if I speed up to fast
Thanks for any help.
Bob

sounds like it’s lean. Check the spark plug color. If white then to lean. May need to up the jets. If it has a needle with a clip on it move it down and I believe that richens the fuel mixture. Sounds like it’s not getting fuel.

papa hogg scoot 09-14-2018 08:18 PM

Did you install china carb? I havnt had anyluck with them alot of them are made for serveral different model an not jetted right for all atv, IMO I would deeply clean old factory carb and installed good brand carb kit an try that an see how atv performs JMIHO.

Liberty4u 09-16-2018 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by papa hogg scoot (Post 3403298)
Did you install china carb? I havnt had anyluck with them alot of them are made for serveral different model an not jetted right for all atv, IMO I would deeply clean old factory carb and installed good brand carb kit an try that an see how atv performs JMIHO.

I agree with cleaning and using the old carb if it's not an original OE replacement. It definitely sounds like you're leaning out and it's a fuel delivery issue.

bobemartin 09-17-2018 10:14 AM

Ok guys had a little free time on my hand this morning so back to the garage I went. That was probably a mistake, LOL. Here is what i found with the spark plug, which tells me I may have a spark issue, which I thought I had resolved, but apparently not. Here we go. Before I replaced the carb I had put in a new plug. I pulled the plug as suggested to check the color. Here what I saw. No white, no gray, no brown, no black from oil, but I did found black powder like stuff covering the plug. I knew I had spark or it wouldn't start at all, but I got a new plug and did the ground thing on the block to look at the spark and it looks pretty weak to my eyes. So with the stalling and stopping and black powder on the plug I suspect the coil or CDI box. Any comments?

Thanks