Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

older blue 350 cc 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 05:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default older blue 350 cc 4x4

have a older blue 350 4x4 cannot recall the year or where to look fir the serial number but the weird thing is it will lose its spark then come back later or week later.I cannot figure out if cdi box or what wrong with it.
The lights all work even neutral lights too but I am lose of what to check or do but a great work house around the farm I miss it so much and my wife hates pulling the cart now cant seen to win

Old 05-13-2019, 01:33 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Never seen a blue Honda 350, that doesn't mean they don't exist. 2000 to 2006 350s had the CDI just behind the front wheel coil spring, and VIN numbers are stamped on the top frame crossmember that the bull bar attaches to.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

could you give me a better idea to look for serial number please if you could and thanks for replying too very kind of you

Old 05-14-2019, 01:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Not really, if you look at the front bull bar, it has two stays, just under the headlights, that go back under the plastic and mount onto the frame. On Hondas the number is stamped on top of the flat piece of frame that runs across between these mounting points.

Old 05-14-2019, 01:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

found my serial number it a 1993 need a CDI that I understand has to come of the same year model so if anyone got a CDI In interested the stater must good as headlight goes light up when kicking it over. cool to still have that feature asa all bikes were kick start except my 1st Yamaha 125 cc I forget now but loved that bike OK back to cdi.
Mine says HA7 C1545 or could it be the exciter even as comes and has for years but has sat more for a few year now so time to get her going again.Thanks again for the help and comments one or the reason ,looking is the help people give so much advise

Old 05-15-2019, 01:55 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Right, well you haven't got a 350 if it is 93 as they stopped making the 350D in 1989. I'm not entirely sure which type of ignition the 350D has, as the 300 is a strange AC/DC hybrid which doesn't have a separate "exciter" coil, and does have a positive feed from the ignition switch so from the battery, which would indicate DC, but also has a direct feed from one wire of the stator. However the 250 does have an exiter coil and no connection to the battery, so is AC. Your problem could be plug, coil, CDI or trigger coil, I would go for plug first, then HT coil, as these are cheaper and easier to replace than CDI. If that doesn't work then it may be time to get a new CDI. Genuine Honda ones will have that same HA7 C1545 number on them. If you can, check the wires to the CDI when the fault is present, as this would show if there is a problem elsewhere in the ignition system.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 1993 350 4x4

hey merryman serial number shows JH3TEO725PT which i thought was 1993 I could be wrong but ythought I was right as look online I believe I was going to order cdi today with same number being HAY C 1545 do you think I making mistake here ?
I no great mechanic buy any means but any advise would sure be helpful

Old 05-15-2019, 11:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 1993 350 4x4

I wrote the number down wrong on the post above off CDI box should be HA7 C 1545 it also has a box on opposite side not sure what that is but this quad for years would lost bspark then reappear but getting older neeed it to pick up grass as have a few acres here and tractors too slow any ideas what else to do but buy cdi? I looked online bay and amazon none had this cdi as said 93 takes speacial on being the HA7 C 1545

Old 05-15-2019, 11:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default No spark 1993 fourtrax honda 350 cc

Well checked wiring with meter every thing seemed ok .I then drove into town brought a CDI and still no spark.
I did change the coil a couple days ago with one off a old Honda 110 trike but that never get spark back from that so now looks wiring ok
new cdi did nothing but drain my pocket book.I now thinking perhaps the pulse generator but I no small engine mechanic that fir certain but
I know if I take this in to be fixed it would cost more then the thing is worth.
I may have to but any way of checking these pulse generators?
I also found out from dealer that these were made the fourtrax up to 1994 and started in 1988 I believe the guy said there so thought I should let
Merryman know as he seems to be very up on these atv.and gave me some tips to look at which I must say very kind of him
I also wondering about the rectifier if they every go much but the reading seemed that it was operating.
Also on the front end opposite side of the cdi there another seal box I wonder what they are as cannot seem to find a service manual online
for this old gal so hard to know what some parts are but the neutral switch works as well as the reverse switch also had proper oms but I think after I get this running again I ground these and be done with that stuff.Also the shut off switch on the handle bars seemed to function too when we checked it a couple days ago now.
Just so odd the thing would lost spark time to time but always can back but for two years now its been sitting waiting for it to fix itself but never happen really ran a week ago brought it inside to service change the battery and went to start it and hasn't had spark since.The wiring all look OK and no rips or shorts present any where got me baffled & so made I went and brought a CDI and they had a fuel pump Honda brand I bought too as understand Honda stopped making them so thought I have a spare in case as there also a weak part.Now I thinking what didn't I wait until I had it running again before wasting money for parts not even needed.
Also when I kick it over with the kick starter the light shines so thinking stater OK but perhaps that may be the problem too I lost as what else to do.

Old 05-16-2019, 03:58 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Pulse generator or "trigger coil" can be checked by spinning the engine over and checking you are getting an AC voltage from it. Honda recommend using their "peak voltage adaptor" on your volt meter for this, but I have tried without and got a voltage, it can be quite small but is usually over 2v. You keep mentioning kicking it over, faults are a lot easier to find using the electric start.

I'm a bit puzzled as to the reference to them being made up to 94 as they disappear from Babitts on-line parts books in 89.

Neutral switch is connected to the CDI on 300s and I bet it is on the 350, did you check that this wire is connected? On the 300 Honda kept changing how it worked, so early ones earthed when in neutral, then earthed when not in neutral and finally pos to CDI when in neutral, which is why CDIs from different years can't be used on 300s. I don't know if the same applies to the 350s. I would also disconnect the voltage regulator and then check for a spark, doesn't affect all Hondas but the 450 won't spark if the regulator dies.

Quick Reply: older blue 350 cc 4x4