Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Engine dies when neutral light goes off

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2022, 10:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Engine dies when neutral light goes off

2012 Recon 250. When shifting from neutral to 1st, the engine cuts out right as the neutral light goes out. I can slowly start to shift into gear and right before the gears engage the neutral light goes out and engine dies. It has a new CDI. It's like the engine is connected to the same circuit as the neutral light

Old 11-28-2022, 02:45 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 342 Likes on 333 Posts

On older models of Honda the neutral light is connected to the CDI, it earths an extra wire to give a better spark when in neutral, which helps with starting, this is important with the DC CDI models, but I'm not sure why the AC CDI Recon would need it. Anyway, check the earths, between engine and frame and CDI. It also has a diode in that neutral circuit, check that is OK.

Old 11-28-2022, 10:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Checked all the ground wires. They seemed to be in good shape. I got the right ohms from the diode. I am a little confused about the wiring. It looks like the DCI gets it’s ground through the gear selector switch. When in neutral, the switch is grounded and provides grounding for the DCI and a couple other things. But when you take it out of neutral, the DCI has no ground as far as I can see.

Old 11-29-2022, 02:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 342 Likes on 333 Posts

My wiring diagram for the 250 is at work and is for the pre 2003 models anyway but I'm sure it will show a direct earth from frame to CDI. Always a green wire on Hondas. Don't start the bike without an earth to the CDI, it will burn it out.