Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

OH $H!T !! HELP AXLE NUT !! NEED HELP ASAP !

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2001, 05:43 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today i was riden and all the sudden i heard the bearings cruching so i parked it and got ready to take out the bearings and replace them but i cant get the axle nut off I really need to fix it quick so i can go riden tomorow PLEASE HELP ME ASAP !!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-09-2001, 06:58 PM
Trailblazer

Just to let you know, the axle nut has reverse threads. You didnt reallt explain the problem but that might be your problem.

Old 06-09-2001, 07:03 PM
Range Rover

Im awareof the reverse threds and i cant loosten it it just turns the motor over i put it in first no luk reverse no luk !! damn it

Old 06-09-2001, 07:23 PM
Range Rover

Put it in 4th or 5th gear and have someone hold the brakes!! I know it sounds wrong but the higher gear will hold the engine better. Try it and go riding tommorow!

Old 06-09-2001, 07:49 PM
Range Rover

that didnt work we wedged a racthet in between the sproket holder and my dad stood on the end of a two foot wrentch trying to get it off but no luck looks like i will have to cut the axle and put a socket on there to get it off no riden for a few months now [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I wanted to go to my first race next month but it looks like ill be sitten on the couch ! life sucks today if you have any ideas please help me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] stupid POS alxe nut if it was a person it would deserve to be shot [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 06-09-2001, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

don't cut the axle!

its a common problem

ya have to heat the lock nut.....heating it the metal will expand.........then put ya spanner on it

find some one with a gas plant........

Old 06-09-2001, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

they say not to heat it in the clymer manual.
get your self a big rubber mallet and WD-40 and beat the crap out of it. thats how i got mine off.

Old 06-09-2001, 11:39 PM
Trailblazer

It wont hurt to heat the nut as long as you get a brazing tip for the torche
only heat the nut fast & hot moving the torche around the nut as you do so not letting the axle get hot, as it will pull the temper out of it.
if you think the axle is getting to hot you can dribble a steady stream of water on it to keep it cool, you will trash the seal but you want to replace it anyway.
hope this helps.

Old 06-10-2001, 12:38 AM
Trailblazer

hey putting it in fourth or fifth gear wont help,, if you put it in a lower gear the compression is higher, and it will hold the engine more, but higher gears let the motor turn a lot freer, which will make it harder for it to stay still.

Old 06-10-2001, 12:43 AM
Trailblazer

hey dude, listen i'm not trying to say you're wrong or anything, but if you heat the nut, it wont ever work the same again, and you'll have to buy another one eventually, and the dripping water thing, yeah, that'll keep it from getting hot and warping, but when it gets hot, then cold from water, then hot, then cold, over and over again, it makes the metal week, so then your axle will be really week

kojo

Quick Reply: OH $H!T !! HELP AXLE NUT !! NEED HELP ASAP !