Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Foreman or Kodiak? Need your advice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2001, 06:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to purchase a new ATV within the next two months. I have pared down my choices (for today) to a Honda Foreman ES and a Yamaha Kodiak. I want at least a 400, selectable 2WD/4WD, and reliability. This will be my first ATV and I will be using it for about 75% work (spraying, fence work, etc.) and 25% play (hunting and trapping). I am about 6', 240 and have a small wife who will use it to haul firewood, etc., so I want something with lots of power, but also that drives easy and rides well. My main question is what kind of power loss will I experience between the Foreman ES electric shift manual and the automatic transmission on the Kodiak. I think I like the Yamaha a little better, plus I can get a better deal on a 2001 Kodiak with the 2WD/4WD selector, whereas I will have to get a 2002 Foreman to get that option. I can't find a dealer that will let you test drive a machine, so I am dependent on your opinion to help me decide. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-12-2001, 12:02 AM
Range Rover

It won't be necessary for a recomendation be made for one over the other, but since I own both, I'll relate my expereinces and let you mull them over.

The Honda is a 450-s, a '98 model. I opted for the s over the es because so much of the time my left hand is occupied with holding a shovel, a spray gun, a bottle of pop, or a struggling day old calf and I didn't really mind letting my foot do the work. In addition I wasn't really sold on the electric shift stuff. My father-in-law has one though, and I'll talk about it later. This 450-s is just bullet proof. It has 15935 miles, not kilos, but miles, on it, and while there has been some break downs only once has it refused to run, and that was last 4th of July when I dunked it in a beaver pond hauling grandkids around on it. The break downs consist of two left rear wheel bearings, one left front bearing, and the most major breakdown was the loss of the ring and pinion, and the rear axle. This occured at around 13000 miles, and is the result of hauling lots if weight most of the time what with hauling salt for the cattle, and spray machinary. The extended warrenty took care of the $550 bill. The carb. had to be replaced also because the float wore out the hinge holes, the warrenty paid for that also. I change the oil every one hundred hours, use the same series three 15-40 stuff I use in the diesel tractors, put on new tires in the fall so I have good traction in the snow, and just normal maintaince. Oh yea I recovered the seat at about ten thousand miles. The es I was referring to has about 6500 miles I think, and other then a couple of crashes(pretty cool for a 75 year old dude)it has been the same story as the s. He isn't in the water like me, so he hasn't had any wheel bearing failures. The Honda fits me like a glove(6ft 4, 240)and it handles better then the Yamaha.(lower center of gravity.)

The 00 Kodiak was purchase because of good press reports about it, and wanting a automatic for the hired men and being a honor graduate of the Polaris School of Junk, I thought I'd give the Kodiak a try. Hard to say how many miles are on it since there is no speed-o, but it has seen hard use. The Honda is my personal scooter so I take care of it, the Yamaha gets used by anyone, and the maintaince isn't as regular as the Honda. Other then the stock brake pads(replace them before you even leave the dealership) and the Dunflop tires that are forever going flat, and the $12 oil filters, there has only been one potential huge problem. The oo's have no speed-o, and they have a plug where the speed-o drive mounts up to. In some cases, like mine, this plug can come out, and when it does so does the engine oil, in a big way. It was being used in the snow, and luckly the oil was noticed right away, and it was shut down with no damage. The dealership repaired it no charge, and I whined a lot to Yamaha, and anyone that would listen that there should be a recall, but none was ever done. Again this was on a 00, and since later ones had a speed-o then that problem is solved I guess. The Yamaha tends to scoot me forward on the seat on longer trips which the Honda doesn't. It is much more catty then the Honda, and is the favorite ride for corraling an errant cow, it will turn on a dime. Side hill stuff I like the Honda, and the Yamaha engine compression of ok in my opinion. Speed wise they are about the same, at least for me.

Go forth and ride!!

Old 08-12-2001, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

I like my 2000 Kodiak, never had any of the problems described above, mostly because the canadian models had the speedo so there is no plug to come loose. The stock dunlops suck, I got my machine brand new with 26" bear claws.

But to be completely honest, it needs a little more power. Without a doubt I would spend the extra few bucks and get a 2002 Grizz.

when your spending that sort of quid on a new bike you may as well spend an extra 700 or so and have top of the line.

And when you consider what you get on a griz for the extra money it's almost insane NOT to go that rout! 260 cc more power, lockable front diff, electronic speedo/fuel guage, 12" of clearance, independand rear suspension, more clearance for bigger tires, have i forgot anything?.. hehe. I WANT ONE!

Old 08-12-2001, 03:41 PM
Range Rover

Yeah Kerplunk, I hear what you say about the Grizz, I've just looked at them, have't tested one or anything, I sure like the big gas tank for sure, and that they will go faster then 49mph!!! I'm sorta concerned about the IRS, looks like they have lots of stuff back there that might get knocked off or damaged in the ruff stuff, that why I'll keep my eye on the shoot-outs in the atv mags, but it is certainly worth lots of looks.

Go forth and ride!!

Old 08-13-2001, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider

I'm still waiting for a close up look [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] The dealer hasen't had one yet.

BTW, Speaking of stuff in the rear end to get damaged... The kodiak has a weak spot too. the rear dif boot is easily ripped or torn off these machines(just take a look). You can buy a small skid plate from yamaha for about $30 that is well worth the money. Just a little piece of info for anyone buying a kodiak, it could save you a lot of money in the long run.

Old 08-14-2001, 01:07 AM
Range Rover

Yeah Kerplunk, I forgot about that, been there!!