Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

More 440 parts problems,,,,ridiculous

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2001, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because of the problem i had with the installation of my 440 kit (see previous post) i need a new piston and rings for a 440. Well I called Rocky Mountain ATV to see if they could get me just the piston and rings and they said No. They told me to call JE direct and order through them. They told me that they won't sell to individuals just to their distributors (white brothers, IMS, and powroll). So i said fine (not realizing the monopoly their creating with this) and called IMS who produced the kit I ordered for $209. I expected to get a price of about $100 for piston and rings. Well they gave me a price of $191. I asked how this could be so expensive since I bought the whole kit for $209 including the sleeve and gaskets. They gave me a whole story on business and some companyies undercutting. I understand all that. But why are they trying to charge me $191 for a piston and rings?????

It would actually be cheaper for me to order a whole new kit from Rocky Mountain ATV and get a sleeve that I dont need. This is all because JE has some agreement with the above 3 companies. This is bull. The piston and rings shouldn't be more than $100 but since you have to order from a select amount of companies, the price is outrageous.

Anyone have any advice or had similar problem?

Old 08-13-2001, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I needed a part for the controls of my boat. It was a piece made out of about twenty cents worth of pot metal. It was then formed into a part costing $45. Funny thing was, it is made three miles from my house, but, since I am not a distributer, I must order it from a company in California, who gets it shipped to them from the company three miles from my house, then ships it to me.

Now I realize why it costs $45.