Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Help with starting an old 87 250r!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2001, 03:24 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the comments guys. Il hopefully start work on her tommorrow! Il keep you informed.

Old 01-13-2002, 12:58 PM
Trailblazer

Well been procastnating it for just about forever! and im finaly getting around to getting it running. So far i just have the rear fender off. I got acouple more questions though... First off how do I take the carb off ? Its connected to some sort of black type hose/intake. also how do I drain the fuel from the tank ?

Robert

Old 01-13-2002, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

Robert, the black hose that is connected to the carb is your gas line. Turn your fuel valve off, and pull that hose off. Then, get a screwdriver and loosen the clamps on the carb. Try to pull the front(engine side) out of its boot 1st, then the rear will slide out of its boot. Once you disconnect your carbs gas line, all you will have to do is open the fuel valve, and all the gas will come out the little black tube. Good luck,

Old 01-13-2002, 05:42 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks lonestar! Fuel has been dumped. man thier was some nasty stuff comming through that pipe. very sticky tar like substance. Right now im stuck on gettign the carb completly off. Iv already sorted the orange little hose but i cant get the thorttle cap thing off the top ?? what do I do ? iv loosened both side clamps for both intakes too. thx

Robert

Old 01-13-2002, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider

Robert, the "cap" you are talking about.. well, that goes to your throttle, and it's not meant to just unscrew and come off. If you are going all the way through your quad, just unclamp the thumb throttle from the handlebars, and take the throttle off with the rest of it.

The "tar" you were describing in the pipe is the 2 stroke oil that has gotten into the pipe. That is a good demonstrations of what the premix will do if you let it set in the tank too long. The oil will cling together, and make some nasty lookin stuff!

Once you take your thumb throttle off, take the carb out of the boots, and run the thumb throttle through your frame.

Old 01-13-2002, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider

WOW, nice R, I noticed that you don't know your way around the quad very well, so I think that you and your dad should do this together, since he probably knows the quad better than you, and you can learn. If you don't know about Carbs., don't do it yourself, I took apart the carb on my old LT and then couldn't get it to idle because I didn't know what I was doing, so this is something you should really have help with. I might be wrong here but, you are probably going to have to replace the axle bearings since it's been sitting so long, and might wanna check all other area for play. Good Luck.

Old 01-13-2002, 06:39 PM
Trailblazer

O! that cap doesnt come off I thought It did.. woops. I didnt pull it that hard because I thought mabey it didnt come off that way. Il go mess with taking off the thorttle. Im not to bad with carbs but iv never taken off a 250r carb. Just other small 2 stroke carbs Il get back with you guys shortly on my progress. thx

Robert

Old 01-13-2002, 07:05 PM
Trailblazer

im trying to figure out why the thorttle is jamed. Should I take the bowl apart ? what will happen if I take the bowl off ? will the jet fling of or anything ? what should i try ? Iv taken the carb of both intake boots its just hanging by the throttle cable.

Old 01-13-2002, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

Robert, I dont think your bowl would have anything to do with the throttle jamming. The whole "mechanism" of a carb is that when you push the throttle, it pulls the cable that runs into that cap on top. The cable pulls up on the needle, and that allows fuel that was in the bowl to be sprayed into the motor. If anything, you have something wrong with your cable, and quite possibly the needle. I would guess that since your quad is so old, and hasn't been ridden in so long, that the cable is dried up, and not able to move. You can get a new throttle cable from Motion Pro, or have the one you own lubed. Good luck,

Old 01-13-2002, 10:13 PM
Trailblazer

The throttle is stuck in the idle posttion would this be a cable problem ? how do I take the cable off ? Ill try and lube it or something.

Robert

Quick Reply: Help with starting an old 87 250r!!