Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Cops and atv's dont mix

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2002, 04:23 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RdingManiac420,

In Connecticut, you are allowed to cross a road at a 90 degree angle, with a valid All Terrain Vehicle registration. If you are caught riding on the road, then you will receive a ticket.

Laws differ from state to state. Check with your DMV department.

Ironbear

Old 01-04-2002, 04:37 PM
Trailblazer

I heard that there is a pretty good area to ride aound new haven. do you know were it is?

Old 01-04-2002, 04:59 PM
Range Rover

It seems as if all these cop bashers have a problem with cops because every time they do something illegal the cops are there to harass them. Imagine that! I agree that some of the laws need to be changed (like snowmobiles are allowed to ride on the roads but ATV's can't) ,but if your caught be a man and stop whining about how the cops are just a bunch of idiots trying to stop you from having a good time.

Old 01-04-2002, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

You guys from conneticut, i'm from conn and I know a graet spot out in grisswald conn, behind the high school thiers a big gravel pit with about 75 or so miles of trails with two large tracks in thier.
It's been there for about 25 years.
Thiers also places around groton, new london, stonington, mystic, and norwich.
Were are you guys from were theres no riding areas.
What about the huge sand pits off of 95, in covington RI
Man let me sit here and think, thiers bunches of places.

Old 01-04-2002, 05:51 PM
Trailblazer

I am with you Sporty4002x4. A lot of fellow atvers just dont understand our jobs. We are not out there just looking to find someone to screw with on the streets. We have sworn to enforce all the rules and regulations of our respective states to keep the roads safe. It is up to the individual officer as to give a verbal warning or a ticket. All we really want is compliance. If an officer believes a warning will keep the violator from being a repeat offender then he may go with that.

All atvers should learn there state and local laws and obey them. If you are breaking the law then it the police officers job to interact. If a cop wants you to talk to you then stop and see what he wants. If you are polite and respectfull he probably will let you off with warning. If you run he probably will give chase. Just put yourself in our shoes. We see a atv riding along or on the roadway. As soon at the rider observes the squad car he or she takes off like a scared rabbit. We then ask ourselves why are they running?? Did someone just rip off a fellow atvers ride? The questions can go on and on. We must react, it is our duty as police officers. If we give chase we sometimes put our own lives in danger just to serve and protect the citizens that we work for.

So, fellow atvers, if you are flagged down by a cop, pull over and see what he wants. Do what is right and remember to be respectfull, it may determine the outcome of the stop. Sure, you can run but someday it may catch up with you.

Old 01-04-2002, 06:03 PM
Trailblazer

I'm from Orange ct, its next to new haven. My neighbor told me of a spot near new have that had sand and gravel pits, and was really cool.

Old 01-04-2002, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

<< Somepeople, Cops are stupid cops should have bette things to do so on so on. Maybe your right maybe things to do next time your ATV gets stolen maybe somebodys car stolen to well go handle that instead hey a car is worth more than a ATV.

Or maybe while riding on the road you get hit by a car and get hurt but the car drives off, well i would go help you but somebody might hostage at the time so I got to wait for that.

Or next time your neighbors are playing the music way to loud i will just tell you to mind your own business.

We answer all calls and to be honest with you, you are BREAKING THE LAW like it or not, if you want to break the law fine deal with the punshiment that comes with it. If you run from the cops all the time i hope that when you get caught (one day you will) they dont just right you a ticket but since its been such a prob in the past and the cop rembers what kind of bike ran from him last time and this is the same impound time.

Not all cops know about ATV i can tell what type bike you are riding when you hit a trail full speed and all i can see is the back of you.

ALL CALL'S are important and yes we can pick and choose what to do on the call but we must answer the call thats why called to help them no matter what it is including riding ATV on the road.

Why dont you as a ATV rider become a little more responsbile and A. find a legal ridding spot, B. talk to your neighbors and see if they mind you riding down the side of the road to the trails, think about theme they may works nights and are trying to sleep during the daytime.

But if you keep giving ATV riders a bad name and wonder why we cant ride anywhere then dont grip about it when it happens.
>>

OK, for one my neighbors is my grandparents which could care less if we ride on side of the road. Another thing, notice in my reply that I said &quot;The way it used to be, we had to ride down the side of the road to get to the trails&quot;, and you make it sound like I &quot;ran&quot; from the cops, no I didn't, if a cop catches me on side of the road, im going to stop b/c it would be stupid to run, they will always catch you. I have nothing against cops, I was referring to my neighbors being a *** calling the cops when its really none of their business. Besides, my nearest neighbors live 1/4 a mile away so if their playing loud music, so be it, I wont even hear it! See, my grandparents have over 80 acres of farm land to ride on, so I DO have a legal spot to ride on, BUT, my grandpa called and told me to not be in the fields b/c spinning and such would tear up the pasture, (which is stupid), so where else do I have to ride? Side of the road buddy! I was driving up the road, (in a car if you must know), and I seen about 5-6 ATV's riding on side of the road, and i'll be damn if im going to sit there and watch other people having fun in the snow on their quads and not me, so up the road I went, and I did it again today! It was fun, I went the other way up the road and none of them care. Matter of fact, they have quads of their own and was out riding them theirself. When I came by, they just waved and I did the same....

Old 01-04-2002, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider

What do you mean ALWAYS catch you? If you take the tight trails ten to one the cop will give it up.

Old 01-04-2002, 06:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Not that this matters but Cops are under no obligation to protect you or your families from ak47 toting nutbags...but just for the record..most of the Officers I have had the &quot;honor&quot;of dealing with are power hungery bosos.

Old 01-04-2002, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

Meadowolf that last post was for me? I guess you are referring to the part where i said some cops are A-holes's well i do work with some cops that are, I do my job with theme but outside of work I dont mess with theme im sure there is some at your job to that you dont like ever job has theme.

As far ao obligation to protect you and your family, Yes I do have one if somebody calls and says somebody is in my house shooting at me you think i can say oh well im not under obligation to help you good luck, NO and I would not think of doing that neither.

So you dont belive im a cop, I wont lose any sleep over it no way i could prove it to you anyway.

Copper If only people could walk in our shoes you know what i mean.

As for as everybody else on this board sorry for that last post you can only take some much bashing on a job you love should have came back later after calming down and posted oh well.

Jeffman i wasn't replying to your post directly just generally to all the post made sorry if you misunderstood that.

Quick Reply: Cops and atv's dont mix