Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

My 250r Project

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2002, 12:20 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am building a 250r from scratch; all I have right now is the engine. Two questions:

How do I know what year my 250r engine is, the person I bought it from said it was an '86, but the color of the top and bottom end are not right for an '86, could it be a 250r ATC motor?

Is there any specific order in which I should get the parts for my project, for example: hubs before wheels?

Chris

### I have posted a reply with a couple more questions, so please read on. ###

Old 02-07-2002, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

What do you mean by

<< but the color of the top and bottom end are not right for an '86 >>

I was pretty sure they all looked the same. The only difference between the 86-86 ATC motors and 86-87 TRX motors are the gear ratios. I think you should get a chassis first, then front end, then rear end, then misc crap like hubs, wheels, brakes, etc.

Old 02-07-2002, 02:29 PM
Range Rover

What makes me think the motor is not an '86 was the last post to this trivia question:
http://pub20.ezboard.com/fhondatrx25...opicID=4.topic
My motor has a dull silver/gray top and a black bottom end.

I am getting an Arens frame but I haven't decided on which A-arms, Swingarm, or Shocks to get.
For the shocks I was looking at PEP, Axis, or TCS. What does everyone recomend? (brand, rate, and adjustability).

Also, I'm looking for an aftermarket hi-flow radiator, does anyone know who sells them and which brand is the best?

Chris

Old 02-07-2002, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

I envy you for building this quad. You must have a large piggy bank. anyways i wish i could do it to. Good luck with it. sorry for not helping you on your question.

Old 02-07-2002, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe the previous owner was going to polish it and just did a bad job. Anyway, good choice for the frame. As for the shocks, all that you mentioned are good, although I hear more good things about PEP and Custom Axis than TCS. In a previous issue of dirtwheels, they had two frame reviews, Arens and LoneStar, maybe you should try and find that issue(sorry can't remember, I'll try and find it later if you need the month) for info on set up. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Old 02-07-2002, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

Hey OrgonMXracer you ever ride dunes or are you ony a track boy? Just kinda wondering. Where do you race at? Or were are other places u ride?

Old 02-07-2002, 04:25 PM
Range Rover

I found that article at CTracing's website:
http://www.ctracing.com/PD_ct%20phot..._june_2001.htm

It is alot of help but I'm getting second opinions from the message boards.

Chris

Old 02-07-2002, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

If I get a quad I am going to try and head to the dunes Prez. weekend, but I doubt I'll have a quad by then, and I am not old enough to drive myself yet[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] so I'll have to have my ATC back together so my uncle could ride it. I do it all, but when I get a quad, MX is gonna be my main thing. I don't really like trails that much unless they are &quot;6th gear pinned trail&quot; or they have alot of jumps/whoops/etc.. or if I go out in the woods to go squirell hunting I'll bring my quad. Whenever I get a quad, I'll for sure be going to the dunes, so I'll post in here and see who all I can meet up with from here(with the wopping 3 or 4 oregonians, not many people will be coming!!!) Do you know anyone up in wilsonville/portland, that whole area, that is selling a 250R, 400EX, or banshee that is close to being race ready?

Old 02-11-2002, 02:20 AM
Pro Rider

The 85-86 atc and then the 88-89 had black lower ends.So that might be what U have.

As for th A-arms and swingarm I would stay with Aren's.I have plans of building another R using a full arens chassis.I have never heard of an Arens frame or swingarm cracking.I would buy the rolling chassis first.I got an engine.Then I would buy the frame,A-arms,swingarm,Axle,steering stem,400ex spindles and front brake setup.I would use baldwin front hubs and honda rear hubs.Use the 250r rear brake setup.Then a clarke gas tank,then an ESr ignition system.

U can e-mail me anytime If U need any help or just want to talk about 250r's

TrX250r86racer@cs.com

86 trx250r
97 300ex

Old 02-11-2002, 04:51 AM
Pro Rider

http://www.macdizzy.com/trx_specs.htm ..... this link should help you with finding out the differene bt=etween the trx 250r,s... as for myself im also rebuilding a 250r.. already about $4,500 into it and havent even touched teh motor yet. the frame is stock but arms and swingarmn timmyboy designs.. shocks are tcs. i would love to tell you how they ride but havent had a chance to try em out yet.. hopefully easter.. click my link and check it out.. if you have any questions feel free to email me

Quick Reply: My 250r Project