Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Trying to modify my Honda 300ex

Old 02-16-2000, 02:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have alot of questions.
First,I want to change out my rev limiter,but I was wondering what kind of stress is added to your engine?
Second,I ride mostly hard surface and rocky areas,but sometimes sand pits.What tires are best for that type of riding?
Third,what are some good,waterproof and durable boots?
Fourth,is there any real differences between regular oil and 4-stroke oil?
Lastly,I see some people with bigger tires in the front and smaller in the back.Is there a reason for this?

Thanks for your help.
Dan

Old 02-19-2000, 08:56 PM
Trailblazer

Why would you want to change the rev-limiter on your ex? It is there so you don't blow the thing up! I ride an EX also and wish sometimes it would go faster, but if it broke, then it would sit for a few months until the $$ came in. Also read an article in Dirt Wheels of a guy who rents quads at Pismo Beach, CA and says that the 300 EX can't hurt itself if you leave in the rev control. ( I bet his stuff gets REAL abused). It should come in at 7000 r's and unless you have changed to a high comp. piston or bigger cam, you don't need to turn the motor any faster. I consider it the dummy control for my throttle lever.
As for tires, I ride on Holeshot XCT's and they hook great in the dirt. However, they would probably wear out fast if you ride on hard surfaces as they are a rather soft compound.
Boots - Don't know as I don't ride in that deep of water!
I use any name-brand oil that is on sale in my bike. Just make sure you use the correct weight as outlined in the owners guide or service manual. Stay away from the snake oil salesman.
Some brands of tires are not available in the same sizes for front and rear. Smaller rears will make your bike take off and accelerate faster but you will lose some top speed.

Old 02-19-2000, 08:56 PM
Trailblazer

Why would you want to change the rev-limiter on your ex? It is there so you don't blow the thing up. I ride an ex also and wish sometimes it would go faster, but if it broke, then it would sit for a few months until the $$ came in. Also read an article in Dirt Wheels of a guy who rents quads at Pismo Beach, CA and says that the 300 ex can't hurt itself if you leave in the rev control. ( bet his stuff gets REAL abused). It should come in at 7000 r's and unless you have changed to a high comp. piston or bigger cam, you don't need to turn the motor any faster. I consider it the dummy control for my throttle lever.
As for tires, I ride on Holeshot XCT's and they hook great in the dirt. However, they would probably wear out fast if you ride on hard surfaces as they are a rather soft compound.
Boots - Don't know as I don't ride in that deep of water!
I use any name-brand oil that is on sale in my bike. Just make sure you use the correct weight as outlined in the owners guide or service manual. Stay away from the snake oil salesman.
Some brands of tires are not available in the same sizes for front and rear. Smaller rears will make your bike take off and accelerate faster but you will lose some top speed.
Have fun and ride hard.
300ex-treme

Old 02-19-2000, 09:34 PM
Trailblazer

Dan,

Not that you have to justify to anybody what you want to do with your bike and your money. But the changes that you are asking about don't make a great deal of sense.

Most mods to an EX that have proven to improve performance and not risk blowing it up are all bolt ons.

Pipe, Open air box, change the air tube, and of course re-jet to allow for all that extra air flow through the engine. Unless one is really radical that pretty well covers the reasonable mods for these bikes.

Old 02-19-2000, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

just dont tear up the sprocket hub... Honda won't seel you a new stock unit by itself.. they will only sell the sprocket hub and axle as an assembly....
OH, and one front wheel is well over $100.00... time for some douglas .190's

Old 02-22-2000, 01:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

300-extreme,since the day I bought my ex,I've had problems with the rev-limiter (I think) my bike seems to hold me back in every gear.I plan to buy a Supertrapp pipe and the K&N kit with the air filter and carb upgrades,and I'm wondering if I'm already hitting my rev limiter in every gear,what's the sense in buying performance parts if my bike WONT perform.

Am I totally off base?????

Old 02-22-2000, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

Gear up.....Build torque....

Old 02-22-2000, 11:35 PM
Trailblazer

DAN,let it snow has a point.If you change your front sprocket to a 14 you will use more of the torque of the engine.I have a supertrapp exhaust on my 300EX and I think you'll love it.If you are not changing cams I would leave the rev limiter alone since the cams power flattens off any higher RPM then that anyways.If you are changing cams than by all means change that CDI so you can get more RPM's cause you can make more power then.Just my thoughts hope it helps...Try that 14 tooth sprocket it's the biggest difference 15.00 can make!!

Old 02-23-2000, 10:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info Y2K.I think that the supertrapp is a nice pipe also,have you heard any good or bad things about the Mega Max II by:FMF
the only reason I ask is I found it for $199.00 w/ the header pipe.So if its pretty similar to the supertrapp I'll go with that.

When you get a new sprocket,does the timing have to be adjusted???

Old 02-23-2000, 09:11 PM
Trailblazer

Dan,

300ex-treme has great advice. The ideal tire your looking for doesn't exist. A good rock tire has the opposite characteristics as a sand tire. It sounds like u need two sets of tires. Also it sounds like the problem your having with your rev limiter is u need to change gears and get at a lower rpm, go up a tooth on the front sprocket to give u a little more range in each gear, or buy a 400ex. My buddy has a modified 300ex and his runs great. Granted sometimes we all hit the rev limiter, but if your continuously hitting it, u definately shouldn't buy the rev limiter kit, cause it will be a matter of time before u damage your quad. Check out my website if u want to see some pics. http://members.home.net/umcpmark/index.htm

Good luck.

mark

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trying to modify my Honda 300ex