Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Can somebody tell me whats faster 400ex or a banshee

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-1999, 10:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YES, im looking to buy a new fourwheeler i already have one but its a 4x4 and i need a play toy. Ive got it picked down to a banshee or 400ex. I went to the honda dealer they told me the 400ex was better, i went to the yamaha dealer and they told me the banshee was better. WHICH one is better and has a faster speed?

Old 11-21-1999, 11:56 AM
Trailblazer

Well, i own a 400ex and am very impressed with its performance. All areound i would say the 400 but the banshee will have a faster top speed. I personally like the light weight of the 400ex(375lbs. dry weight). The banshee also has two cylinders which means twice the prob. down the road. the 400 is also lacking a few things like reverse(which doesn't bother me) and a backup starter. What are your riding conditions and enviroment like Nick? The right quad pretty much depends on the use. hope this helps in your decision

GOOD LUCK!

Jera '00 400ex

Old 11-21-1999, 01:14 PM
Range Rover

Hi Nick I also own a 400 (you got that from the nickname, I know) and am extremely pleased with it, overall it is a great machine to ride and have fun on. The guy i ride most with has a new Banshee which in straight away speed is faster but in the woods is a toss up, with the 400 easier on the rider, therefore giving it the edge(only my opinion ) in the woods. The 400 takes very little maintenance while the Banshee does take quite a bit more time and effort. They are both great quads it's just what kind of riding that should make your decision sand or woods.

Old 11-21-1999, 08:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

I say 400ex, but of course you did ask this question in a Honda room. The 400 has more all around torque, making it great for woods riding, so you don't have to be on the clutch all day. If you like sand and woods definetly go with the 400ex, and if you get beat by Banshees, in the sand of course, you could always get a White Brothers 440 kit and hop it up so you would embarass all of those Banshees. It's up to you but I say 400 all the way and you will be safe for both sand and woods.

Old 11-21-1999, 09:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

yea but which one is faster and does anyone no the top speed of them both.

nick

Old 11-21-1999, 09:26 PM
Trailblazer

In stock form the 400ex is about 68 and the banshee is around 75 ( i think, i could be wrong ) But any mods would surely change that. I had to make that some decision and realized that the faster i go the quicker i'd die. OH BUT WHAT A RUSH!

RIDE SAFE!!!!!!

Jera '00 400ex

Old 11-22-1999, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

If there wasn't a 400EX out there, I would buy a Banshee.

It is a great machine. Tons of power, tons of add on parts, and it screams.

But I like my 400EX better. It is a smooth ride, and I haven't had to do anything to it. It hurts me just fine.

RM

------------------
99 400EX 95 Scrambler 400 85 LT250R

Trending Topics

Old 11-22-1999, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since I haven't seen any posts from a Banshee owner here yet, I had to speak up. First off, I just spent a weekend at Glamis with a friend and his 400EX. I posted this same thing in another thread. Before I say what I think about the 400, let me say that it is a nice quad, and initially I thought it was fairly powerful, had nice suspension and was a great overall machine. But after spending a weekend with one, and riding it, I can truthfully say that it is GUTLESS compared to the Banshee. There were plenty of hills that the 400 wouldn't make it to the top. Some of you mentioned the woods riding aspect, and I agree. The 400 is a great woods machine. BUT, if someone asked me about power and speed (as was asked to begin with), then there is no comparison. I mean, give me a friggin break. 28 hp vs. 39 hp. Even with the 440 kit, the EX still will be only competitive with stock Banshees, all it takes is some pipes on the Yammy, and the EX will be the one being embarrased.

I have to comment on the twin cylinder thing too. One word. BS! All in all, the 400 will end up costing about the same in maintenance. It will be less often, but more expensive. So it is really a toss up. Have any of you priced out a 400 rebuild??? It's a lot more complex than a two stroke and unless you have experience with installing cams and adjusting valves, a mechanic is going to have to do it. So much for being cheaper than a 2 stroke twin.

Old 11-22-1999, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

I would have to agree with sandman on this one....I am a banshee owner..I live in upstate NY..guess what..no dunes. I spend much time in the woods and on fire roads, etc. I don't have any trouble. I bought the banshee because it makes me work...I enjoy using the clutch and working through the gears.
My buddy has a 400ex...I love it for ease of start up and go. He does well in the woods...it's a toss. He has commented a few times on the top speed of the EX...But there again His bike is stock...Mine is a '97 with pipes and pistons etc. So we don't expect he's going to win a drag race. We have both been riding for years. You want a real kicker which should cause some people to stir.

His second machine is a '97 blaster w/ pistons, pipe, gearing and carb work...It will easily go faster Through the woods than the 400 ex in stock form..though I think that will change with a pipe and air box mods...

Overall...I think the EX is a fun ride...It wheelies, jumps and has yet to have any troubles...

good luck

Old 11-22-1999, 06:10 PM
Range Rover

I have a 1999 400ex and love it. I ride with 2 guys that own Banshees. No question that the Yamahas are faster, but I still don't want one. This is not a negative comment on the Yamaha, but they are very temperamental and don't have the suspension that the Hondas have. I do believe that even with modifications, the Honda can't compete on the dunes, but the woods is a different question. Again, it all depends on the rider but I assume your talking about a drag race on flat ground as well as up a dune. I do know that after a long day of riding, the guys with the Banshees are more tired than me because of the explosive powerband. Both have good and bad points. Don't just buy for speed, that only part of the story. Too many people in this forum speak of speed as the only issue.

Quick Reply: Can somebody tell me whats faster 400ex or a banshee