Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Removing right case cover(250R)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took out the motor from my ATC today, and holy crap it's heavy, well heavier than I thought. Anyway my manual hasn't arrived yet, and I want to start tearing this thing apart ASAP as much as I can wihtout the manual. I can't seem to get the right (when sitting on bike) side cover off, does anyone have a trick to doing it? Thanks in advance

Old 04-09-2002, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

Nevermind, I got it off, but I do have one question about my clutch, when I pull the lever shouldn't the disks spread apart? I took them out and they would barely "break apart" when I tried to get them too. Any insight as to why they would do this would be helpful, as I never had any problems with it until I tried moving it around in gear with the clutch lever pulled in and it wouldn't budge. Could it be the oil I put back in? I think it was Castrol, Semi synthetic or something like that, 10W40.

Old 04-09-2002, 03:50 AM
Pro Rider

You're not going to see much action in the clutch without the engine running.

Old 04-09-2002, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

Make sure you have the tools to do this. I just tore mine down and the two things that you will need are a 250R specific flywheel puller (less than $20) and a clutch holder (about $30) I would also get a case splitter which is about $45 from Honda. When you get your service manual, they will have all kinds of specialty tools that you don't need, some you will. If you doing the bottom end, make sure you are careful when you do this. You can wreck a lot of stuff it you don't do it right. Not trying to scare you, just a word to the wise.

Old 04-09-2002, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

Thank you, I knew there were going to be some more things I needed to do this right. Is the case splitter necesarry(SP?), or just a handy tool to have?

Where's the cheapest place to get the case splitter and flywheel puller?

Old 04-09-2002, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

Steve, email me when you want the EASY way to do it.

Old 04-09-2002, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider

Whats your E-Mail address? Just send one to me, my E-Mail is in my Sig.

Trending Topics

Old 04-09-2002, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

Err, well, I'll just say it here, maybe help someone else out. Take the head off, turn your kicker until the piston is all the way down, then take the head off. Once you do that, its your choice. Left cover-electric. Right cover- clutches. I'd choose the right. Once you take all the bolts out, the cover should slide off. Take all the pressure plate(10mm) and an air ratchet and take the big nut off. If you do it right, you don't need a flywheel puller, or anything else.

Use the ratchet on the other side too. Make sure you catch your rod if the crank turns, because if it slams into the cases, it will damage.

Splitting the cases was a ****** for me. I took a screwdriver, and gently tapped it into the seal, and spread it apart. Work your way around carefully, and don't worry about salvaging the seal. It's impossible. I bought K&S gaskets and seals. They are good, except the head gasket blows. It leaked on me the other day, causing YoDaddy to beat me in a drag race.

Old 04-09-2002, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

The only problem is I don't have an Air Compressor, nor do I know anyone nearby that has one that will let me borrow it. Next suggestion? Also, on the big nut, there is a little plate of some sort with tips bent on the nut, am I supposed to bend those away from the nut or what? BTW, where did you get your crank from? I've been checking around, and everyone lists the prices with a bunch of stuff I don't need. briansgi told me to get one from Johnny Hale, I think his price was around $200. Anyone dealt with him yet?

Old 04-10-2002, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

You can get an electric impact wrench, but I don't have any experience using them. You probably should have left the motor in the trike until you got the jug off and the all of the stuff on the sides, it's easier to work on than on the bench. You don't "need" the special tools, but it does make it a lot easier. The case splitter is not completely necessay, but if some mook put sealant on the center gasket, like some do, it will be mandatory. You can usually get a bottom end rebuilt for about $200-250 plus parts.

Quick Reply: Removing right case cover(250R)?