Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher 4x4 ES or S model

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2002, 04:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to buy a Rancher 4x4 in the next 2 weeks. I'm undecided on the electric shift or manual shift. I will keep this ATV for several years and I'm concerned about the reliability of the ES. Anyone with any good information on either one, please help.

Old 06-18-2002, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

My buddy has an ES model. Whenever we go mudding, he has to stop every once in a while, find a twig, and dig the mud from around the shift buttons. It seems when mud gathers around the buttons, he cannot shift at all. He said he wouldn't buy another ES model.

Old 06-18-2002, 05:54 PM
Trailblazer

As you can see I have the ES...I don't really like the ES model now. I have found there are things you can't do with it because you have to have both hands on the handle bars all the time.

I have found no problems with it just little picky stuff I have found. If you have any questions about it just ask.

Old 06-18-2002, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider

What size is a rancher? At least test ride a Prairie 360. It rocks! Or if you have the bucks, the 650. I love my 650 & the 360 has alot of the same features; locking diff. alluminum swingarm, 2WD or 4WD, engine breaking. This is a real cool bike!

Old 06-18-2002, 06:09 PM
Trailblazer

The rancher is a 350

Old 06-19-2002, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider

It's actually 329 cc....i have the rancher s just because it's one less thing to break.....neighbor has the ES model and hasn't had any trouble at all...i know that if i was SURE that it would be as reliable as the S model, i would have the ES for it's convenience...it shifts faster and the S model can be a pain in the butt when yer wearing size 11 winter boots!!

Old 06-19-2002, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an ES. Love it (mostly for the kids) Only have 125 miles on it so I can't say how it will be long term. From other posts I have read the ES is very reliable. There are alot of extras that come with the ES package that make it a nicer machine.

You might go into the search and put in Rancher and read everybodys comments.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Trending Topics

Old 06-20-2002, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

Canadian,

can't you raise the shifter lever in the winter to make room for your boots?

Just a thought.

Old 06-20-2002, 12:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

I would without a doubt go with the S.

First of all as far as reliability with the ES goes don't worry about it I mean it is a Honda remember. I can't speak honestly about a rancher but I know there is no difference between a 450s and a 450es other than the electric shift and the floorboards.

The reason I prefer the S model over the electric shift is purely because with all things equal the s will go through mud better than the es model. If you don't plan on going mudding then it doesn't really matter. Another benefit that has already been mentioned is you have to have both hands on the handle bars to drive at all times.

Basically if you are wanting to make a mud machine get the S. If you have a girlfriend of wife and you just want to cruise around with her on the back or let her drive then get the ES. I've noticed that women like the ES waaaay more than the S models.

I'm not trying to say the ES sucks for mud because it is just as awesome, its just the S model has a slight advantage. The advantage is in the floorboards. With the S model when you are in deep mud the fenders will bend back and let mud through while the ES model will trap the mud and force you to push it.

Old 06-20-2002, 01:02 AM
The Facility

Here is something you guys with the ES models should think about doing as your next modification.

The angle sensor on the Rancher ES is exposed and is easily broken off by a stick or rock being "thrown" up when riding.

We have had over a dozen come in with this problem since they were released in 2000.

No aftermarket supplier that i know of has a guard for it and Honda hasn't updated the new ones with one either. It shouldn't be too hard to make a small shield for it. It's located at the bottom of the engine and can't be seen, so appearance isn't important. Two owners that had this problem did exactly that.

When the angle sensor is broken, the machine will not shift with the buttons. you will have to shift it manually with the emergency shifter in your tool kit to get out of the woods...or where ever you may be.

A aftermarket company could make a bundle selling these guards.

This problem affects the 450ES owners as well.

Just thought I would pass that along.

But on the reliability issue....the ES is reliable......but doesn't hold well to water.

When water gets into the shift motor, it will not shift until it dries out...which can take days or even disassembly to get the water out.

Quick Reply: Rancher 4x4 ES or S model