ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Honda (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/)
-   -   Plastic Cleaner - What To Use? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/69637-plastic-cleaner-what-use.html)

Sanch 07-11-2002 06:16 PM

I was told not to use armarol on the plastic of my new 2002 350 Fourtrax. Can anyone tell me what to use instead.

Thanks in advance.

01redrecon 07-11-2002 08:24 PM

Why were you told not to use armerol? I use a polish, rubbing compound or anything to make it shiny.

Sanch 07-11-2002 09:34 PM

Hey there,

Thanks for your reply. They told me not to use armerol because it weakens the plastic over time as well it fades the color faster?? I thought I read that it contains UV protectant.. In any case, maybe some auto polish will be better. I'll let you know if I hear of anything else.

Cheers!

2fat4moto 07-11-2002 09:54 PM

I use Simple Green ONLY! I have for years. I use it on my CR, ZRX, P650, & my Tundra when I get tar on it. It works great. The only thing that can save your plastic is not to ride it or crash it! Yeah right, if you are like me, riding leads to crashing at some point. Good luck.

vooduuchild 07-11-2002 09:56 PM

I heard that when it's clean, to use some lemon pledge on it. You'll get a real nice shine, and the mud doesn't stick to it as bad. That's what I heard.

RC350 07-11-2002 11:22 PM

The BEST thing I've found so far to use for plastic is the Turtle Wax brand 2001 Super Protectant.

By far, it does a better job of shining the plastic than Armor All. It isn't supposed to have the negative side effects of Armor All, such as drying out the plastic over time, and allowing cracking, etc.

I've used it on my Son's Blaster and my Banshee for several months now. Makes the plastic look great. It also provides for UV protection, makes cleaning the quad easier, and gives the plastic a rich, deep look to the color.

Regards,

Rog

Area51 07-11-2002 11:51 PM

I second what RC350 said. The Turtle Wax brand 2001 Super Protectant works better than anything that I have ever tried! It makes your plastic look better than new! And when you wash it next time the dirt will just run right off of it, and the water will bead up like you just waxed it. It protects against the sun fading it (UV Protection) and makes clean up a snap. Get it, you will love it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

350rcherdude 07-11-2002 11:53 PM

finish line 2000 car wax comes with an applicator it works great and helps mud shed off like it isnt even on. just my 2cents

RINCON 07-11-2002 11:56 PM

what do you mean armourall will fade and crake your plastic???? that's the whole point of armourall, it's a protectant. I've been using armourall for years and it make the quads look like new. the honda dealer around here uses pledge. i use WD-40, no not on the plastic, on all of the frame rails and stuff underneeth the quad, make it look like new again

OffRder15 07-12-2002 12:36 AM

I use whatever I find first...either Armoral, Meguiar's Detailer, or Turtle Wax.

DesertBum 07-12-2002 04:24 AM

I use Turtle Wax, then I put Turtle wax wet and black ($5 @ walmart, big bottle too) on everything, tires, plastic, etc!
Although, got a little carb cleaner on it, BAD! Never do that near there again.

Ron

razormazer 07-12-2002 11:40 AM

Somebody told me ( ive never tried but i want to throw it out there for ideas ) that if you have deep red plastic and it fades that WD-40 will restore it and make it shiny again. Any truth to this??

bbertram 07-12-2002 11:53 AM

All I have ever did to my ATV plastic's was wash it with car soap and water. If you rinse it off after every ride the fenders do not stain with dirt and crud and wash it with soap once every 3 or 4 rides. I have never used a wax or polish on my quads. If you are wondering about the plastic fading over time just store your quad in the shade, put a cover on it or store it in the garage.

RINCON 07-12-2002 01:00 PM

we wash our quads after every ride, as soon as we get home. we have a preasure washer, which works good, but i think it blows the shine off the plastic, my brother puts it on low preasure to due the plastic, and his still got the shine of a new one. WD-40 will make your quad shinny, but it will also fade it out quickly. but if your quad is already faded it doesn't realy matter. the dust sticks to WD-40 though, realy bad. When you guys talk about turtle wax, i hope you don't mean that you put it on and buff it off like a car, you must mean some kind of spray on type, like armourall.

RINCON 07-12-2002 01:01 PM

we wash our quads after every ride, as soon as we get home. we have a preasure washer, which works good, but i think it blows the shine off the plastic, my brother puts it on low preasure to due the plastic, and his still got the shine of a new one. WD-40 will make your quad shinny, but it will also fade it out quickly. but if your quad is already faded it doesn't realy matter. the dust sticks to WD-40 though, realy bad. When you guys talk about turtle wax, i hope you don't mean that you put it on and buff it off like a car, you must mean some kind of spray on type, like armourall.

RINCON 07-12-2002 01:01 PM

it doubled up on me, how do i delete a post????????

DesertBum 07-12-2002 01:58 PM

<< we wash our quads after every ride, as soon as we get home. we have a preasure washer, which works good, but i think it blows the shine off the plastic, my brother puts it on low preasure to due the plastic, and his still got the shine of a new one. WD-40 will make your quad shinny, but it will also fade it out quickly. but if your quad is already faded it doesn't realy matter. the dust sticks to WD-40 though, realy bad. When you guys talk about turtle wax, i hope you don't mean that you put it on and buff it off like a car, you must mean some kind of spray on type, like armourall. >>

I buff mine on [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

92LT 07-12-2002 04:44 PM

I had a 300ex with black fenders that would really show the deep scratches(more like gouges). I applied a liberal amount of mop'n'glo and it worked pretty good.

2fat4moto 07-12-2002 08:12 PM

I hear spray Pam woorks pretty good! How about rubbing butter on it! Or lets try some axle grease. Its waterproof! Might help keep the bike from getting wet! LOL!

RC350 07-14-2002 02:03 AM

The Turtle Wax I mentioned in not a wax, but is Turtle Wax brand (as mentioned in my previous post...) 2001 Super Protectant.

It is a product that is similar to Armor All. It is a newer product (for what ever that is worth...).

In my opinion, it works much better than Armor All when applied to plastic. I have used both, and like the end result of the Turtle Wax 2001 Super Protectant as compared to Armor All.

I have also used regular Turtle Wax brand WAX on my plastic. I applied the wax and buffed it out with a buffing wheel. The end result is not nearly as good as the 2001 Super Protectant. The wax didn't leave the shine I was hoping for, while the 2001 Super Protectant did.

Regards,

Rog

beck61170 07-14-2002 11:41 PM

I use a produce called Silkolene Pro Prep. It contains silicon. It makes the metal look freshly painted, and the plastic shine. I like it because it can be used on all parts of the quad. It also makes the hoses and cables look brand new.I buy it from my dealer, haven't found it anywhere else. It is kinda expensive ($8.00 per can), but it last several applications and is well worth it in the looks department. I think there was also a write up about it in one of the quad magazines.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

2002 Suzuki Vinson
1999 Polaris Magnum

maxxpwr 07-15-2002 02:02 AM

i use a combonation of Dove liquid soap and Fantastic shower cleaner on my YZ125's white plastic. i spread a thin layer of dove then spray on the fantastic, wait a few minutes then scrub and rinse. it works really well on the old mud stains. it also seemed to brighten up my red 400ex. i also use Pledge for looks and protection. these seem to be a good combo for me. for big scratches i use a natural gas torch to melt the surface after special preparation.

RINCON 07-15-2002 12:59 PM

i don't reccomend using a preasure washer on the top of the plastic, i use it for everything underneeth, but it'll blow the finish off of your quad in no time. watch out for seals too, it'll blow right past them if you're not carefull

blaster425 07-16-2002 05:16 PM

dirt wheels said that if you spray stp son of a gun all over your four wheeler and dont wipe it off, it will be shiny and clean in about an hour.

01redrecon 07-17-2002 08:23 PM

Well i go to do something with my plastic because where the release is for the seat the plastic is all rough and and full of small dipples. Could this be from a presure washer and armoral?? and if so how can i restore it.