Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

What would make up your Dream Sport/Utility ATV?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2002, 12:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have ridden the Honda Rincon, Honda Rubicon, Kawasaki Prarie 650 and Yamaha Grizzly 660, and from the ground up here are the components that I would use to build my Dream Sport/Utility ATV.
TIRES AND WHEELS - Honda Rubicon, I have 2000 miles on mine and they still look very good and they are very sure footed -- I am not convinced the Radials on the Rincon are better (I have already had one flat) and Dunlop tires seem to wear fast on the other brands.
CHASSIS - Honda Rincon, WOW - you've got to ride this to believe it - Great Ride -- Prarie and Rubicon both have a good ride but not near as good as the Rincon. Grizzly, you would think it would be close to the Rincon but it's not.
FLOORBOARDS - Prarie - They are solid with adjustable footpegs -- Rubicon and Rincon, I like the feel but the plastic rips and dent when hit hard with rocks and sticks. Grizzly, the footpeg is right at the ball of the foot (what were they thinking?).
ENGINE - Prarie - It is powerful. -- Sorry to tell Rincon owners (I own a Rincon too) but the Prarie is faster, I have raced them and it doesn't matter who rides them the Prarie is some faster. Rubicon is a good engine but Prarie is more powerful, Grizzly - Just doesn't keep up with Prarie.
TRANSMISSION - Rubicon, Cannot even feel it shift and it has low range (and ESP and D1 and D2) -- Rincon - lacks low range (and that is a big deal where I ride), Prarie - belt whines, Grizzly - Actually has a very good tranmission but it is still a belt.
PLASTIC - Rubicon - I like the looks and its a little thicker than Prarie and Rincon. Grizzly plastic is thick and durable but not as good looking to me.
4 WHEEL DRIVE - Rubicon and Rincon - Sends power to the front wheel with traction -- Prarie may do the same but I think the Grizzly has the old traditional Limited Slip with power going to wheel with least amount of traction.
DIFFERENTIAL LOCK - Prarie - It looks like it wouldn't work that well but it really does. The great thing is you can use it while moving -- Grizzly - You have to be stopped to put it in, not the best when you need it. Rubicon and Rincon - Differential lock missing, however, have you noticed sometimes both front wheels spin?
LIGHTS - Rubicon - It has that extra light that projects light furthur down the trail -- Other 3 have only 3 headlights.
RACKS - Rubicon - Big and Black and built well -- Rincon, too small, Praire, good but not as good looking as Rubicon and Grizzly have that weird surface on them.
HANDLEBARS/STEERING - Rincon, Easiest steering 4x4 ever, period.
SEAT - Rubicon, good seat. -- Prarie also has good seat, Rincon - actually you will feel it after sitting on it awhile and Grizzly is too soft.
SHIFTER - Rincon - Shift easier than any of them by far -- Grizzly is very notchy.
You may have noticed that I didn't prefer the Grizzly for any category. It would seem to be the perfect ATV, it has it all Differential lock - IRS - 600 Raptor type engine. It just doesn't work together like you would think.
I know this is subjective and not everyone would agree with my preferences - so - What components would make up your dream ATV if you could have it Custom built?

Old 09-25-2002, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

I would like to see the rincon w/ resovoir shocks the new hole shot radials a better sounding exhaust and a good set of propegs. Then I would love it to loose 150lb.
Or give us an updated Wolverine add 2 more inches travel and bump up to 500cc and keep the weight around 400lb, add 2 wheel drive option and keep the manule geer box.

Old 09-25-2002, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

Well I won't get into as much detail bur heregoes:

1. Has to be a HONDA!!

2. 650-700cc is plenty, twin cylinder would be nice, preferably liquid cooled, and have electric start with a recoil back up.

3. Manual Shift, auto clutch 6 speed or more. Automatic should be an option, not standard, and no belts please.

4. Ideally should come with 27" Blackwaters, but as long as the rims are steel and 12" diameter, I'll be happy.

5. I like the styling of the Rincon. Needs racks of a Foreman, and the 3rd Headlight.

6. I would like the ride of a Rincon for trail riding, but when it comes to mud, the simplicity of a solid axel, shaft drive would suit me fine.

7. Switchable 2 - 4 wheel drive.

7. Front Differential lock like the Prarie 650. Pull lever, 100% locked, and available at any speed.

8. Low range is nice, but Honda's 1st gear being very low suites me fine as well, need more high end gears though.

Old 09-25-2002, 01:47 PM
Trailblazer

Give the Rubicon the Rincon's 650 engine, IRS suspension, and put disk brakes all around. Keep the Rubicon Hondamatic tranny. Add Traxlock 2wd/4wd and a diff lock and you'll have my dream utility. Oh yeah, make the gas tank bigger as long as we're at it.

Old 09-25-2002, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider

Give the Rincon front disc brakes, and a locker as well as a SLIGHTLY lower 1st gear, and a deeper OD 3rd or 4th, and give it the ***** to The Wall power of my Harley V-twin (100+ HP and TQ at reat wheel) and hang on!

Old 09-25-2002, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

I would like to have a Rincon with a KFX 700 engine, keep the Rincon tranny but make it a 5 speed so they are spaced better, have Holeshot ATR's all around and works shocks.

Old 09-25-2002, 10:09 PM
Range Rover

Yamaha Grizzly
735 fourstroketech bigbore
titan 589 m/s 28",itp c-series wheels, pipe&silencer,holeshots with
custom snorkle,and K&N stage II jet&filter
biggun pipe,carbon drive shafts
*** UTILLTY ***

Old 09-25-2002, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

HI GUY'S
Excellent thread! You all forgot about BRAKES!!!
Brakes...Kawi P650(THE BEST EVER MADE!!! You don't service them till 6000 miles or 10000kms!!!!)
Engine...Kawi P650 (ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Front locker...Kawi P650 (EXCELLENT and ON THE FLY!!!)
Tranny...Maybe the honda Rubicon.
Style...Cross the Raptor with the Rincon ( That would look Sooooooo sweet!!!!!!)
Tires and Rims would be aftermarket stuff like ITP Rims with Kenda BearClaws.
Exhaust...Aftermarket pipes (With the V-TWIN it would be nice to have BIG SHINY CHROME PIPES out the *** baby!!!)
Seat... A dual passenger seat similar to a motorcycle's

All in all a nice kick-*** SPORT-UTE with a BAD ATTITUDE

ROB

Old 09-30-2002, 12:02 AM
Range Rover

If I had to pick my favorite flavors...

Engine: Harley V-ROD!(too many cc's to be an atv but let me dream) w/ all the crome an' everything

Body: Rincon/V-ROD cross in silver

IRS: Bombardier Outlander style

Tranny: Rubicon

Message center: 2004 Rancher w/ GPS

4WD: Polaris

Tires/Wheels: Dirt Devils or Rawhide Grips on ITP Delta X Crome(general purpose w/ added bite and good handling)

Floorboards: Prarie (can't disagree)

Brakes: Polaris braided steel lines and 400ex rotors+pads(split the levers)

Intake: quick-'tatch or telescoping snorkel option(K&N stock)

Steering Geometry: Predator

Suspension: Z06 shocks designed for atvs

Chassis/drivetrain components all carbon fiber or titanium(reduce weight and makes suspension and drivetrain more efficient)

Racks: Arctic Cat

Electrics: Marine quality throughout w/ a 12v DC outlet and a 110v AC outlet

I think that's about it