Old 10-02-2002, 06:38 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great for storage too

Old 10-02-2002, 07:48 AM
Pro Rider

It looks like I'm going to have to be the 'lone' voice of dissention here...............

I've been looking for a 5' X 14' tandem axle (aluminum) for over a year now and have had no luck; save being quoted custom built.

Try hauling a narrow, 5' X 8' trailer around the country, that you can barely 'see' behind your truck, and you'll start to enjoy 'long-haul' driving again. No problems 'squeezing' through wherever your truck will fit and no worries about 'where' you are in your lane, constantly.

Please give me info on the 5 X 14; though I have a feeling it's 'steel' and has 'undersized' tires 'beneath' the platform. I'm looking for standard tires with the platform slung low between the wheelwells (oh yeah, wouldn't go 'single' axle to save my life; don't care what the axle ratings are; that's not the issue).

Thanks in advance for the info,

John

Old 10-02-2002, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider

I used to have an 8 x 10 snowmobile trailer for hauling my machines around. I will never do that again. It was actually 8.5 feet wide and a pain in the butt on narrow roads and such. Go narrow and long. Of course, 6.5 feet isn't bad either. Get the big wheels, and enclosed is nice too since it keeps the dust, dirt, rocks and rain off and you can lock it up. My next trailer will be enclosed that's for damn sure.

Old 10-02-2002, 10:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks everyone for all of the comments. I've definitely got a lot to think about.

Old 10-04-2002, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider

I haul 2 full size utility quads on my 6'w x 8'l tilt trailer. I had the structure reinforced to manage the weight. The machines ride facing sideways, one behind the other. When I just need one quad, the trailer tilts back so I don't need my aluminum lading ramp. This rig tows and backs easily behind my Dakota V6. Good luck.

Old 10-04-2002, 06:21 AM
Range Rover

I just traded my 6 by 12 recently for a 7 by 14 because i couldn't pull 2 Rubicons on it end for end and shut the gate. This trailer has removeable side rails and bolt on fenders and i can may be able to get 4 on sideways.
The 7 footer takes up alot of road but I don't think it will be a problem. I would recommend longer over wider any time though if this guy would have had 6 by 14 that is what i would have bought.

Old 10-04-2002, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider

I have both[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

02 Eiger 5sp 4x4

Old 10-20-2002, 12:36 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Trailer Advice - Width vs. Length

I have a Wells Cargo 71/2 X 16 foot enclosed trailer. Enclosed is the only way to go. It takes the place of needing a garage or building to store the quads in. Also, living in a residential area, this was the only option I would live with. My Rubicon and Rincon both fit in nicely.
I have space along both walls for totes, milk crates, tool boxes, etc. At the time of purchase, I had a honda 300 ute and and a 450, they fit even better (obviously). Now with the new bikes one in front of the other, I have about 6 inches to the front wall, about 10-12 inches between the bikes and 12 or so inches to the back door. This space is critical. Being in an unclosed trailer, you want to have space to walk between the two bikes when tieing them down. With an open trailer, you can park the bikes closer, since you can walk around the trailer and still reach over to take care of things. If I were to do it again, I'd have the 18 footer. The last thing you want is to spend money on a trailer where you have to jockey the 600 lb. machines around. I had to spend a little xtra money to have blacktop laid down next to the garage, but this way, I can park the trailer without having to unload the bikes. My buddy has a 16 foot open car trailer, 4 big bikes will fit sideways on it BUT, he's already had one double hernia as a result of it. 16 ft is still not TOO large to take into tight places. Oh and yes.. electric brakes are a must.