Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Manual Lift Plow

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 04:30 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual Lift Plow

I recently got a 48" cycle country plow and lift kit for my Wolverine. My driveway is all gravel still, so I obviously don't want the plow scraping along the ground. I called Cycle Country and they said all I can really do is try and adjust the tension cable to get an inch or two to work with.

Has anyone else been in this situation? Have you found that tightening the cable works? I tried and it seems like no matter what I did, it wouldn't lock in its "up" position after I messed around with it.... Thanks!!

Old 12-03-2003, 12:00 AM
Range Rover
Default Manual Lift Plow

put some feet on the plow to hold it up. warn comes with them round ones that adjust with a threaded bolt.

Old 12-03-2003, 07:59 PM
Range Rover
Default Manual Lift Plow

How about adding a small length of chain between the plow frame and the front rack/frame on the quad? That way when you lower the plow it will only go so far then will be suspended from the chain. It could still float up in case you hit something but wont dig in. Adjust the chain length to suit your needs.

Old 12-05-2003, 09:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Manual Lift Plow

Just a question...Are manual lifts hard to pull up the plow? (I'm getting kinda old)

Thanks

Old 12-05-2003, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default Manual Lift Plow

I had a manual lift plow, about the only time was hard to lift was when were wedged against the snow. I had the chain adjusted so that it would stay a couple inches off the ground to leave some snow in the driveway, ski's on rocks sounds bad. Went with the winch on my new one though because of getting stuck in the muck.

Old 12-10-2003, 05:12 PM
Trailblazer
Default Manual Lift Plow

Thanks for the tip on using a chain, I'll have to try that. Right now, there's just that fabric loop (kind of like a handle on a gym bag) hanging from the front frame on the atv. I suppose if I replace that with the chain, it would be easier to adjust. Right now, I just loosened it enough so when I pull the plow up it's only a couple inches off the ground, otherwise it just rests on the ground. In other words, when I'm plowing, I'd have to keep the plow lifted all the time. I haven't done any plowing yet, so I don't know if that's a problem or not. Either way, I'll probably go with the chain idea.

It's not hard to lift by itself. When you're buried in snow, it might be another story. But otherwise, it's pretty light.

Thanks!!

Old 12-14-2003, 12:07 AM
Range Rover
Default Manual Lift Plow

Hey Fuelman, I have a manual lift on my set-up and it gets hard to lift in the deep snow. Sometimes I have to back up a bit and then lift, however I'm talking about deep, heavy snow. (I also have a cement block on the plow itself, which adds a few pounds) I'm really looking at a winch or electric actuator though. (leaning towards the winch)

Trending Topics

Old 12-28-2003, 03:02 PM
Range Rover
Default Manual Lift Plow

I have a 48" Cycle Country plow on my 1996 King Quad. Originally used the manual lift. It wasn't too bad but no adjustment. It was either raised or lowered. This was a problem when I did my neighbors drive as it had pea size stone. So what I did was drill a hole in the plate that holds the plow up at a point where the plow was a couple of inches off the ground. If I wanted to fine tune it I would just slide forward or backward on the seat. Lifting was not a problem, just waited until I backed up a bit and it was easy.

Then I got my winch and decided to go with that. 2 reasons, 1) why not use it better height adjustment, easier on the arm, ect. and 2) I couldn't leave the manual mount on the quad with the winch installed.

However, I just recently (yesterday) moved the winch so I could put the manual mount back on (had to move the winch 3-4" inches to the right). Why you may ask? Well the winch is slower then I would like, drains the battery more then I like. If I had a real long drive it might be ok but with short drive it involves a lot of raising and lowering. I think the manual will work better. If not, I can still hook the winch back up by just connect the cable to the plow (less than 1 minute to do), which I might have to do to raise it higher for loading in my trailer.

So either way I won't have a problem plowing. Now I just have to get some snow.

Eric