Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Curious Deer

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2000, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings,

Saturday evening, I took my ATV down the road to a large field maintained by the state for seed trees. As I drove across the top of the field, I saw a doe and two fawns grazing beside a big bush in the middle of the field. Being in a generous mood, I decided to circle wide and not bother them.

But as I rounded the thicket, keeping a radius of about 50 yards, they looked up and spotted me. Then they started walking toward me. And as I rounded the brush area, they tracked right along with me -- watching and sniffing. As I came around the far side, I paused to watch them and they stopped. As I started moving, they started following, eventually breaking into a trot behind me. They followed me at a trot for a moment and then went back to grazing.

I suspect we don't look or smell like people when we're riding and, if running quietly, we aren't that scary. But they were sure interested in checking it out.

Old 08-28-2000, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

I have noticed this too about deer. If you are on your quad with the engine running they will just look at you and not run away. When they are in the fields.

In the woods and on the trails I have seen them bolt like they normally do. Ever have one cross the trail right smack dab in front of you? What a rush.

Old 08-28-2000, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider

When I bought the 'Cats I intended them for hunting, though was a little concerned that they may be too loud and scare the critters away before I got anywhere within range. Though, like you both have stated, it seems they are not bothered in the least bit by the atv's. I haven't had any follow me, like DrRod, though I have driven into as many as 15 deer at one time, within about 30 yards or so. That was shocking enough, but then I rounded a corner and spotted a small 2x3 buck not more than 15 yards out. He just sat there and looked at me, then laid down under a tree and took a nap. Had one doe jump out in front of me, while doing about 35 mph. Slammed on the breaks and almost hit her, she just sat there and looked at me, just a few feet off my bumper, like "what the hell are you?", then danced around in circles in front of me when I tried to go around her. It was pretty cool, but seeing as I was in a hurry, it was also kind of annoying when she wouldn't just get out of the way. I've also come up on numerous elk at ranges between 20-100 yards or so. They'll sit and look at you for a while, but the minute you try to get closer, they're gone. It is great getting this close to the wildlife on the machines, though I have a sneaky suspicion that come hunting season, they'll be nowhere to be found!

Take care!

Mike

Old 08-28-2000, 11:13 PM
Trailblazer

I was just out on friday night on our land, and had a doe and her fawn come up to my duaghter and I. They didn't care about the quad, I even shut off the quad, stood there and talked to my duaghter about them. They eventually came in to about 10 ft, then the doe started shaking her head at me and my duaghter, it was a sight to see! This was the third or fourth time this has happened to us. I love my quad, and the experences that I can share with my family.
Ingoldx1
95' Sportsman
99' Trail Boss

Old 08-30-2000, 09:49 AM
Range Rover

I came up on a group of deer on my 4 wheeler early in the morning during non hunting season. I was motoring at about 7-10 mph just looking around and saw the group of 5 or 6 does with a 4 pointer and a spike. They watched me approach from about 75 yards away to 30 yards. I turned the 4 wheeler off and watched them while I stayed seated. They kept an eye on me but continued to graze for about 10 minutes. I got off the 4 wheeler real slow and as soon as I separated from my machine they took off like there was no tomorrow.

I guess they aren't too concerned about a 4 wheeler but the silouette of a man must mean a death sentence to them. Go figure.

00' Big Bear 4x4, itchin to hunt again.

Old 08-30-2000, 09:56 AM
Pro Rider

Hey, let's send this thread to the Sierra Club, etc.

I can see it now...

"Hikers banned from wilderness areas due to negative impact on wildlife -- areas now reserved for nature-friendly ATVs only!"

Old 08-30-2000, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

Wouldn't that be sweet!

Old 08-31-2000, 05:19 AM
Pro Rider

This is something thats happened to me more than a few times also. One time my cousin and I were riding and came up on a small buck and doe and slowly approached them while they grazed and looked at us. We inched up to them and sat with motors idling and watched them for over 10 minutes at a distance of 15 to 20 feet. We watched in amazement as they acted totally unconcerned with our presence. After they did walk away we just looked at each other and said "nobody will ever believe this." I wish I had my camera that day.
Also had several meetings with bears. To date I have seen 13 bear while 4-wheeling. They are also not as shy as you would like them to be, especially when it is a sow with cubs.
I totally agree about the machines not bothering the animals. I am still trying to figure out how the population of wolves and Bald eagles in northern Minnesota has grown to such large numbers even after the enviro-terrorists say we are endangering them!
Go figure!!!!!!

Old 08-31-2000, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

Man, I'm talking distances in yards, you're talking feet, that's awesome! I get a kick out of sneaking up on, or even just finding animals out in the wild like that, it's pretty cool I think. You're right about the bears, we've got a lot of them up in my neck of the woods, and they're not always as shy as you'd hope they would be. I found two bear cubs about 4 summers ago now up on one of our logging roads, while riding mountain bikes with my Dad and one of his buddies. Came up within about 3 feet of them, till they ran up a tree. Nobody would ever have believed this, if my Dad and his buddy hadn't have seen it with their own eyes, but I found myself standing about 6' away face to face with momma bear! She was standing eye to eye with me, bawling and throwing her paw around. Man I don't think I have ever been so scared in my life, or road that bike as fast as I did that day. Though it was probably the most scared I have ever been out in the woods, it was also probably the coolest thing I have ever seen. Something I'll never forget anyway. Needless to say, they don't bother me quite as much as they did before this occured. Dad thought it was pretty funny, said the look on my face was priceless. Yeah, right dad!

Been out riding lately, any new stories? Haven't heard much from you in a while, nice to see ya again!

Mike

Old 09-01-2000, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider

Deer are not smart enough to see you as being separate from the ATV. A deer depends on instinct and memory to determine when to flee only at the sight or smell of what they know or suspect to be a predator. Their normal reaction is to remain still and evaluate the situation until they determine the extent of any danger to them. So unless they have been shot at or harrassed before by someone riding an ATV, you often have to stop and step away from the ATV before they recognize you. It is the same as when you may see deer when riding in a car or truck. They may stop and look so long as you remain in the vehicle. But as soon as they see the human form emerge from it, all you will see is that white flag from their tail.