ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Hunting, Trapping, Game Management (https://atvconnection.com/forums/hunting-trapping-game-management/)
-   -   Over/Under Shotguns (https://atvconnection.com/forums/hunting-trapping-game-management/184290-over-under-shotguns.html)

elkbow 12-21-2004 03:19 AM

Over/Under Shotguns

I bought a H&K Fabarms Silver Lion in 20 guage. Nice gun for the price, about $900. Excellent wood and smooth. The trigger is adjustable...it will move forward and backward. There is another set screw that does take-up, but if I adjust it to take less take-up, the trigger won't reset for the second barrel....anyone have one of these? anyone try to adjust?

Anyways, looking at other O/U's...possibly a Beretta 686 White Onyx....maybe in 28 gauge for quail....same as i use the Fabarm for....

Anyone else have any O/U's, what model? how do you like it?

dave

ShadyRascal 12-21-2004 08:25 AM

Over/Under Shotguns

Beretta Whitewing 12 gauge. I looked at everything else in that price class and this felt the best. Still doesn't fit the way it should, I have to shove my cheek too far down on it to line up. I end up shooting over the top of some fast birds. But I really like it, very light weight for the upland walks I take which end up being several miles.

elkbow 12-21-2004 11:53 AM

Over/Under Shotguns

Beretta's are definitely nice. I was out shooting some clays last weekend and my friend brought both his 20 and 12 686's. I'm surprised that you have to push down on the cheek to get lineup on the bead. I've seen that on some cheaper guns like the Charles Daly....but never on the Beretta's. I'd like to get the Beretta 687 combo that has both 20 and 28 ga barrels, but its around $2500....

ShadyRascal 12-21-2004 12:36 PM

Over/Under Shotguns

Yeah, it comes to the shoulder very naturally, fits right up, way better than other ones I tried. That's what sold me, but after a while I started to notice I was seeing too much rib face (along with a couple roosters that kept flying). A little more drop and it would be perfect, or maybe a few more rounds at the range getting myself adjusted to the gun (which is not what it's supposed to be). It'd be nice to have a gun fitted and built, but, $$$$$.

Catterman 12-21-2004 02:17 PM

Over/Under Shotguns

I am a Browning Citori fan myself, my 12 gauge works like a charm, and I even got a 20 gauge grade III. That is the smoothest shooting gun I have ever fired. I love over/unders.

elkbow 12-22-2004 12:27 AM

Over/Under Shotguns

Brownings are nice guns, never been much of a Browning fan though....I've held some of their Citori's, felt to heavy/big to me, but haven't checked on their new stuff or their upper models....

the best shotgun I have ever seen was a Beretta 687 EELL....now thats a nice gun, should be for around $6000

elkbow 12-23-2004 12:05 AM

Over/Under Shotguns

For the hell of it today, I picked up a Mossberg Silver Reserve 12 ga. The same people that make CZ's shotguns are making the Mossberg. For the price, its a good shotgun that you don't have to worry about scratching the hell out of it because of the price.... It points nice, has 28" barrels, comes with 5 choke tubes and has a single trigger. The trigger pull is heavy, so one of these days I may pull it apart and see how they do the trigger.....

Dealer cost.....$460.

dave

Coyotechaser 12-23-2004 03:11 AM

Over/Under Shotguns

This is the over and under I've been thinking about buying.

Ruger

elkbow 12-23-2004 09:54 AM

Over/Under Shotguns

Originally posted by: Coyotechaser
This is the over and under I've been thinking about buying.

Ruger
they're not bad, but for the price you can get some better guns....the stainless with the synthetic stock is nice if you get it wet alot.....haven't seen anyone else doing a gun in stainless and synthetic....

MrDumass 12-23-2004 11:38 AM

Over/Under Shotguns

I like the ruger red labels. The Brownings are sweet. Charles Daly are nice to. The fausti or stoeger's are the cheapest I think, and they shoot dam good.