Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Have to share, Buffalo Hunt

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 12:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have to share, Buffalo Hunt

Tim

The magazines on the rack at the local food store or gun shop would be good places to start. I would love to see this article in one of the NRA publications. I am not familiar with the Canadian magazines. If you do decide to submit this story you might also consider some of the "Senior Citizen" mags because of your partners involvment.

You have the advantage of some great pictures, a multi-intrest story (because of the quad), the last big hunt and a great hunt.

Old 01-09-2005, 01:34 AM
Pro Rider

Beautiful story Tim, thanks for sharing it with us! Our new Governor in Montana in his first week in office canceled our buffalo hunt which had passed the legislature and many people had sent in big dollars in order to be in the drawing. I'd love to do that. That's one big freezerful of meat!

Shady

Old 01-09-2005, 04:43 AM
Quad Patrol

700Wildcat, Sounds like a win-win situation for everyone[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I have a older friend who I go hunting with. He too has taught me more then I will ever pay back to him[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] In Ca. we have to send in for a drawing for some animals. Back in 1995, I asked my neighbor to put in for antelope with me. He told me to fill out all the paperwork and he would. So I did. We were both drawn[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Which was great. He had been putting in for 30 years and never was drawn, I put in for both of us the first time, and we both get drawn. Now, we have to wait 10 years to try again[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] which is this year[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] And I must say, antelope meat is really sweet[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Hhhmmmm, Hhhmmmm GOOD[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-09-2005, 11:00 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Wildat how are you mounting the bullets on the plaque? Just curious Id like to do that with the 9 point I killed this year but havent though of a tasteful way to do it yet.....

Old 01-09-2005, 11:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

A couple options I guess, it has been suggested to hang them of the horns with fishing line, not my choice that one. What I think I will do is drill holes into the wood either side of the small brass plaque with details engraved on it that I will be putting on. The back end of the bullets appear to be round still so I will just use a hot glue gun and push the bullets into the shallow holes with the glue and they should stay just fine. The mrs will probably insist I clean the gore off them first [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-09-2005, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

CONGRATULATIONS! WHAT A TRIP! ENJOY THE MEMORIES. THANKS FOR SHARING.
MORE PICS PLEASE!

Old 01-10-2005, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider

Wildcat, about all I can say WOW what an animal. Great job. That is a great pic of your hunting partner, that smile looks like he had the time of his life. I hope I can shoot something like that someday. Also, welcome to the forums.

Ryan

Old 01-10-2005, 01:08 PM
Trailblazer

wildcat,

Congratulations on a great hunt --- I'm sure the memories will be with you always.

As to publishing why not call or write your regional outdoor mnagazine first? It used to be called BC Outdoors. Don't know if it is still called that but I would expect so and it would be the logical place to start. Just make ure that you maintain the rights to the story so that you can go further with it if you wanted to (iE: maybe some of the big American publications)

good luck with it

Old 01-11-2005, 05:50 AM
Pro Rider

Great story and an incredible hunt! Good buddy to share it wih makes it all the better.

We all know it is important to take kids hunting but sometimes I think we forget about the old timers. I went hunting with a couple of old timers this year for a deer hunt. No, we didn't hoof it around the property but sitting around in the ground blind I heard hours of wonderful stories and picked up plenty of wisdom from the old guys. One of them got a fairly nice 8 pointer and the other got a doe. I had to do most of the gutting and load the deer in the truck to take to the locker but I wouldn't have traded the experience for a 12 point buck on the wall. Both are getting pretty feeble. One is in his late 60s and the other is 77. Great, great old guys and they had a wonderful time. Who knows; that may be their last hunt and I got to share it with them. My most memorable hunt of the year.

If you know a couple of old guys who can't get around too good any more you might think about setting up a good comfortable ground blind or shooting house that you can drive close to our haul them to on an ATV or Mule type vehicle. The younger guy's son in law built a nice comfortable ground blind but couldn't take them so I volunteered.

Take a kid and take a grandpa hunting and you won't be sorry!

Old 01-11-2005, 07:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Captain Quint:

How right you are. I grew up hunting with older guys and the knowlage they had was unbelievable. One of my Dad's old pals was a packer and meat hunter for the survey crews that worked in Alaska during the 1920's. Another had spent his youth in the Montana/Idaho area on the family cattle ranch. My Dad grew up on the place we still have and spent much of his time in the mountains. You can imagine the hunts and times I had with them.

As they got older the hunts tended to get easier and in areas we could drive to rather than packing in with horses. Now all these old dudes are gone and I am one of the "older" hunters. Roads have been built into places it would take two or three days to pack into. Now I drive to a spot I know and walk about 100 yards to watch a crossing while sitting by a fire built in a stone circle that has been there since I was a kid. I tend to just take pictures of the Elk and Deer I see now because taking care of the animal is just to dang much trouble. Never was much of a horn hunter, was told early on that horn soup was mighty thin.

I enjoy it when my kids are able to get out with me and am really looking forward to having my grandsons, now ages 1 1/2 and 6 Mo., join me in a few years.

Had to ramble on this a bit, just wanted to agree with you about how much fun it can be to hunt with the older dudes. But be warned, many of them will be willing to spend days and days just setting you up to let you make a fool of yourself. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I have been on both ends of that stick a number of times.