Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Strangest Things You've Seen In The Woods......

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strangest Things You've Seen In The Woods......

Don't remember if I've mentioned this before, I'll try and give te condensed version.
When I was in 8th grade (almost 15 years ago) I went camping with a friend and his Mom and sister. There were racoons getting into peoples food, and it seemed like they were going from one site to another from night to night in a predictable manner you would not think racoons were capable of. So, when it was our "turn" to get raided we snuck out and scattered rigatoni around the next peoples site. We never got raided by the racoons.
The next night, we were returning to our camp after sneaking out for a while. You could tell that canadian couple were humping, and my buddy wanted to sneak over and do the peeping tom thing. I was walking along the opposite side of the road, and right when he got to there tent I went to cough really loud so they'd look out and see his silouette. I just started to get the cough out, but couldn't contain my laughter so it almost immediately changed to this screaching laugh and I quickly covered my mouth as we both ran to hide as he was tripping over their tent lines. It was just this ungodly noise that came out of me. We hid, and peaked out of behind the tree to see this guy come out of his tent with a flashlight and some sort of make shift clubbing device and saying "Le racoon" or something to that effect. We were in so much pain trying to contain our laughter.
I guess baiting their tent must have worked, because he thought my buddy was a big @ss racoon!!

Old 02-23-2006, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

ROFLMAO That's hilarious man.

Old 02-24-2006, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

Has anybody heard of "The Phantom Sh!tter"? At Northwestern University, where my cousin went to school, there was a mystery person(s) that was given this name. You can only guess what they were named for. They'd hit shower stalls, campus offices, library shelves, desks, elevators, dorms, etc. I can only imagine. Doesn't have anything to do with the woods, but..........

Old 02-25-2006, 08:19 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: slipjoint
in 1960 something a buddy & i were out riding - came across an old boy humping a herford calf - if i lying i'm die-in

I'm thinking that that's the real story behind Broke Back Mountain. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

As far as seeing strange things go. I'd have to say that who ever may have seen me take a dump off my tree stand had to be extremely offended. I'm sure it was a strange sight indeed. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-25-2006, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

Not to mention pretty stinky.

Old 03-11-2006, 07:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

years ago i was deer hunting in upshur county w.va, still hunting along a ridge in a pretty remote area the call of nature hit me. after looking all around for a few minutes to make sure i was alone i backed up against a log and did what i had to do. 'oh no' i forgot to bring toilet paper, so i did the next best thing, i got my knife and cut of my flannel shirt tail. took care of that problem i thought to myself. as i was getting my pants up and my jacket back on i happened to look up. 25yds away i saw a man sitting in a tree stand trying not to notice me. i felt about 3 inches high as i walked over to his tree stand and said i was sorry for messing up his hunting area and for what he must have witnessed. smileing, the gentleman looked down at me and said 'oh hell' i wasn,t seeing anything else anyway. then, we both started laughing so hard tears rolled down our faces. i wish he would have said something before i embaressed both of us. i never will forget that moment in the woods of wva. and i don,t think he will either.but i bet the next time he yells or something and i always look up .

03 ac 300 4x4

Old 03-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

I thought it would be a good idea to take my 5 year old son camping for some father son time. He has a little 3-wheeler so I led him around on some trails, it was his first time riding in the woods and we had a pretty good time.
We saw a couple people but pretty much had the place to ourselves. We camped in the open and as night fell, I could really see for quite some distance as the stars were out and the moon was full. We cooked dinner over the camp fire and I got out an old time popcorn popper to use over the fire. My son sat close by my side for the popcorn and kept asking to go inside. I kept reasuring him we were alone and could see if anything crept up, I really like sitting by the campfire to relax but he was getting more and more worried so I gave in.
Just as I doused the fire and cleaned up, the wierdest sound I've ever heard came up from over a small hill. It was like all the souls in hell started groaning all at once, very eerie. It was like being in a theater and they do that THX sound thing. My son promptly tries to climb me like a tree and I'm trying to figure out where to obtain some silver bullets in a hurry. I'm really not jumpy and think there has to be some good explanation but there it goes again, louder. I try to keep my son calm but he's pulling me to the camp trailer. To be honest it wasn't that difficult. As we went through the door I stopped and said hold it, there has to be some kind of explanation, besides, I didn't believe silver bullets would stop anything big enough to make that noise anyway. Like I said, I don't startle easily but I was sure I was going to see a red glow and some Satanic army marching over the hill. I waited and listened and thought I heard a little amplifier feedback the next time.
The next day I found there was a youth camp that was a couple miles away, the kind with a big sound system and alot of girls yelling their heads off. The sound had skipped across a lake and over the hill to our camp to frighten my poor son half to death. I of course knew there is always a logical explanation.
P.S. anyone know a good place to pick up silver bullets, you know, just as a conversation piece?

Old 03-11-2006, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

Lol, this is a pretty good thread. Keep em coming!

Old 03-11-2006, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

I saw a guy, ok my brother, constantly getting off his quad to turn it around because he chose the quad he purchased was based on speed capabilities alone. I bought mine because it met several requirements including reverse, and he would gloat about his being faster. We both got them about the same time ( he got a yfz450), so the first time we rode together (on some new trails) he was always getting off to turn around or even once just to get through a tight group of trees.

That made me laugh.

Old 03-11-2006, 11:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mistereid, that was a good one! A little over ten years ago, I was really into 'coon hunting. We had 3 hounds out one night during the summer training season when they treed halfway down on a gully bank. My dad and I sent my little brother who was about 15 at the time, down to drag the dogs out of the gully so we can recast them. In the meantime, we are shining the coon and he is just about at eye level with us since we are still on the top of the gully. It was at least a 25 pounder, and it wasn't looking so healthy. A few cases of rabies had been reported around our area, so when that ole coon started back down the tree, we started yelling at my brother to hightail it out of there with the dogs. We all were pretty scared, but in retrospect, the look on my little brothers face as he was trying to drag about 170 lbs worth of dogs up a steep embankment before being attacked by that racoon was priceless. The bank was pretty steep, and anyone that has been out with hounds knows that they expect and are looking for a fight once they get on tree. Adrenaline and fear alone is the only explanation I can give to how he made it out of that gully before the coon did. As it was we had one hound that was bit before it was all over.

Quick Reply: Strangest Things You've Seen In The Woods......