Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Strangest Things You've Seen In The Woods......

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strangest Things You've Seen In The Woods......

I've got a couple stories, only one kinda wierd, but most funny. The first when I had just started hunting. I was prolly about 12 years old. Dad dropped me off, and I walked bout 50 yards to my stand. It was really late, and he was supposed to come get me about dark 30, so I sat till about 10 mins after dark. I had heard something in the swamp close to my stand, and just figured it was a yearling playing in the water. I got down and was walking by moon light down a trail we had cut. I stopped to listen for the truck, when something (seemed really big at the time) brushed against my leg and just stood there. I could see its brown fur in the moonlight, but couldnt tell what it was. It touched me again and I scrambled to get my little maglight out. I shined it down to see the biggest cain-cutter in history. I was so relieved.

Next was I was huntin down the side of a steep mtn. I didnt want to carry my tree stand, so I had been huntin out of a camo bag chair. I found a big flat rock and set up. Waitin for first light, I dozed off. I was kinda in that half sleep when you can still hear whats goin on. I heard somehting take a step and roused up to see a doe, maybe 10 ft from me w/ her nose stuck out trying to figure out what this snoring creature was. Later that day, I had a squirl come up on me. He climbed up on a rock about 4ft from me, and looked right at me for about 10mins like he was going to jump on me, I thougt it was pretty interesting.

Finally, back when I was still in Highschool, me and several buddies were camping out in the edge of a big field that was surrounded by some deep woods. We had our trucks pulled tailgate to tailgate laying on our backs looking at the stars and telling (imagine this) big foot stories. I was telling a story that I had read in Alabama Fish and Game about some big foot sightings in south Alabama. We kept talking , then all of the sudden we heard a loud growl and sorta like a grunt. Then some heavy pounding footsteps, and a tree fell like it had been pushed over by something that was mad we were there in its teritory. You talking about some guys pouring wood on the fire. Never saw it, and dont really know what it was, but it scared the crap out of us.

Old 08-13-2005, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

Finally, back when I was still in Highschool, me and several buddies were camping out in the edge of a big field that was surrounded by some deep woods. We had our trucks pulled tailgate to tailgate laying on our backs looking at the stars and telling (imagine this) big foot stories. I was telling a story that I had read in Alabama Fish and Game about some big foot sightings in south Alabama. We kept talking , then all of the sudden we heard a loud growl and sorta like a grunt. Then some heavy pounding footsteps, and a tree fell like it had been pushed over by something that was mad we were there in its teritory. You talking about some guys pouring wood on the fire. Never saw it, and dont really know what it was, but it scared the crap out of us.[/quote]

it was probably a moose

Old 08-14-2005, 06:44 PM
Trailblazer

i don't think moose uhhhh....grow, in alabama. not that i know or ever been there, but thats just speculation.

Old 08-14-2005, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah if you find a moose in Alabama, you better shoot it because it would be a first.

Old 08-15-2005, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider

Idk bout any moose, but there was a guy who shot an elk right across the state line in TN. Idk if they ever decided where it came from, maybe fish and game set it loose. I didnt believe it, till I saw a pic of it.

The closest state with an elk season is Kentucky, and I dont think an elk would wonder all the way from Kentucky to make it almost to Alabama.

Old 08-15-2005, 08:53 AM
Range Rover

in VA we can take an elk that come from Kentucky, with a whitetail tag. it doesnt happen much tho i think there was 2or3 killed in va last season

Old 08-15-2005, 02:23 PM
Elite Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: RedGoblin
[quote]
Originally posted by: Tangier
I have had a few very curious things happen while in the woods over the years but some of the sreangest stories (never happened to me) involve sasquatch. Take a look at his report:

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=8547

Now answer me this, why in the world did he not shoot the thing? That could have proved bigfoot's existence right there if he was being honest about the whole situation.
maybe the bullets would have fell of him like her was a flack jacket [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-15-2005, 05:23 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I haven't seen real strange things, but i had chickade land on my rifle barrel. Yesterday seen a coyote stalk a fawn, also woke up a few months ago with a bear on our deck looken in our patio window.

The strangest thing ive seen at my cabin was an elk in our back field, not real common to see in wisconsin

Old 08-28-2005, 05:30 PM
Range Rover

i know im only 13 but i have a 826 plus acres and i see alot of stuff becuse i am the one lookin gafter the land only person who wants to my brothers and dad love to golf and be like spolied brats but i do my work at the house then go to work to make money dont need to but its the right thing but anyway the stangest thing i ever saw was a drunk teenager trying to chase a deer on a atv then rope the deer and ride it never got that far becuse i shot him a few times wit the paintball gun turns to be my best friend the next he had a few to many bears haha

Old 08-28-2005, 06:18 PM
Pro Rider

wow, thats interesting, lol. if i were u id load out a hopper on his back. that would teach him a lesson..... or two.

Quick Reply: Strangest Things You've Seen In The Woods......