Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Truck/ATV rifles

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck/ATV rifles

What do other ATVers who live in the country carry in their trucks and on ATVs in the way of rifles on a regular basis? I'm not talking about hunting season. A few years ago I bought a couple of Saigas in .223 and found they're almost indestructible, great shooters, very accurate and now my standard truck/ATV rifles. In the past I've used Winchester .30-30s, Ruger Mini-14s (terrible shooter without a lot of custom work including a new barrel) and several bolt actions in various calibers, but they always got clogged with dirt and beat to pieces pretty quick. That Kalishnakov action is almost impossible to clog.

Old 07-28-2006, 01:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!
Default Truck/ATV rifles

Used an M1 Carbine for years, went to a Mini-14 not too long after they first came out. Haven't had any problem with the way the Mini shoots. Holds about a 2" group, 10 shot, at 100 yards which is very acceptable for this type of rifle IMO.

Few years ago I picked up a Thompson Contender and have found it to be very light and handy to use on the ATV. It's small size and the option of changing barrels as needed are big advantages.

Old 07-28-2006, 01:53 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Truck/ATV rifles

I have been using a Ruger Model 44mag Carbine for over 20 years. It has been in some of the most adverse conditions known to man and I have never had any problems with it. It is still dead on accurate from 10 feet to 150 yards. just my .02¢

Old 07-29-2006, 03:42 AM
Pro Rider
Default Truck/ATV rifles

I carry a AK that has been modified with US internals and furniture and topped with an Eotech Holosight. Pretty indestructible. The US internals trigger group hammer etc. gave it an excellent trigger pull over stock. Accuracy is actually quite good. With the that Eotech sight add some quality Remington or Winchester ammo and it makes an outstanding deer rifle for the brush. I filled all of my doe tags with it last year. I don't hesitate to take deer with it out to a couple of hundred yards. Drops them fine. Best of all you can drag the thing around on the ATV in any weather and not worry about it getting dirty or wet. It will function in conditions that would destroy a regular rifle. I can toss it behind the seat of my pick up and not worry about it getting bumped around or getting dirt in the action.

If you want a rugged rifle you simply can't do better than the AK action. I'm in the process of putting together another one so I don't have to swap rifles between the truck and wheeler. Get a good US dual hook trigger group btw. Mine did wonders for my rifle.

Old 07-29-2006, 01:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!
Default Truck/ATV rifles

Gotta agree with Cpt Q about the AK, dang things are tough as nails. We have a few, not modified, that we carry on tractors in the fields. Dust and crud just flat will not stop them. Easy to clean, just unload and wash out in the parts washer, no disassembly involved. WD40 spray down and they are good to go. For my own use I don't like the way they fit me and don't enjoy shooting them but thats just a personal preference .

Old 07-29-2006, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default Truck/ATV rifles

Originally posted by: CaptainQuint
I carry a AK that has been modified with US internals and furniture and topped with an Eotech Holosight. Pretty indestructible. The US internals trigger group hammer etc. gave it an excellent trigger pull over stock. Accuracy is actually quite good. With the that Eotech sight add some quality Remington or Winchester ammo and it makes an outstanding deer rifle for the brush. I filled all of my doe tags with it last year. I don't hesitate to take deer with it out to a couple of hundred yards. Drops them fine. Best of all you can drag the thing around on the ATV in any weather and not worry about it getting dirty or wet. It will function in conditions that would destroy a regular rifle. I can toss it behind the seat of my pick up and not worry about it getting bumped around or getting dirt in the action.

If you want a rugged rifle you simply can't do better than the AK action. I'm in the process of putting together another one so I don't have to swap rifles between the truck and wheeler. Get a good US dual hook trigger group btw. Mine did wonders for my rifle.
Exactly why I like the Saigas, same action. I put PK-AS sights on mine, red dot with power, black dot without power and just as tough as the rifles.

Old 07-29-2006, 05:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Truck/ATV rifles

I usually throw my copilot (takedown 45/70 made by wildwestguns) in the truck whenever I leave town. Big enough for 2 legged and four legged critters up here. had it for about 9 years now and its been through alot and still reliable.

Recently I picked up a 1917 eddystone action that I might barrel to 375H&H to use as a truck gun.

Old 08-02-2006, 12:12 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Truck/ATV rifles

Originally posted by: BlinkAK
I usually throw my copilot (takedown 45/70 made by wildwestguns) in the truck whenever I leave town. Big enough for 2 legged and four legged critters up here. had it for about 9 years now and its been through alot and still reliable.

Recently I picked up a 1917 eddystone action that I might barrel to 375H&H to use as a truck gun.
Shoulder cannons!!

I once thought about buying a derringer chambered in a 45/70 to carry in bear country, but I couldn't figure out how to get the bear to shoot it...

Old 08-02-2006, 12:44 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Truck/ATV rifles

Originally posted by: LOANSHARK
Originally posted by: BlinkAK

Shoulder cannons!!

I once thought about buying a derringer chambered in a 45/70 to carry in bear country, but I couldn't figure out how to get the bear to shoot it...
LOL. =]

Old 08-02-2006, 03:06 PM
Trailblazer
Default Truck/ATV rifles

yeah ive got a pair of the single shot handi rifles i use as truck/atv guns. ones a 45-70 and the other is a 44magnum and havent had any trouble out of either. ive taken 13 deer with the 44 magnum and 2 with the 45-70 and love them both wouldnt trade either of them for a bolt action or a automatic. their cheap to buy,solid built, and i dont really care if they get beat up being carried.

Quick Reply: Truck/ATV rifles