Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

what type of food plot?

Old 12-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what type of food plot?

what type/name brand does everyone like for deer food plots? i tried "shot plot" this past year and it grew great. mixed clover,turups,frassica,but then all at once the deer stopped eating it. ive got a trail cam and was getting 130-150 pictures a week. kinda neat to watch the antler growth of each buck. anyways , i hardly get nothing now. 8 pictures in one month. im thinking of going with antler king this year.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like something scared them away ,

Old 12-10-2007, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

well alot of people think its blue tounge. we had a good drought here through the summer. other friends that hunt in different areas said the same.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

Deer habits especially feeding habits change in a hurry in the fall, As soon as the does start coming into season they are only concerned about breading, It's one of the reasons you'll see does with an inch of fat on the hinds quarters and hardly any on the bucks, They are chasing anything that walks. The older bucks wait longer toward the rut because they know the does aren't ready for breeding, the younger bucks run around chasing and get run off by the does.
My cameras showed the same thing starting about a week before thanksgiving. Everything started moving at night.
It was a slow season for me, 1 six pt and a nice doe. One other buck that was donated. My freezers are full.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider

I plant red and white clover, They hammer it and it is good for about 3 seasons.
Deerkiller

Old 12-11-2007, 10:26 PM
Range Rover

I love to hunt but, no property of my own yet. don't hunt on any plot. But theres alot of deer there everynight just put out some corn..about 5 does sometimes couple bucks everynight one problem got like 4 people hunting one stand. 8 point, 6, couple does shot this year. I had one big buck walk up on me got spooked and did its warning snort. But there is a field behind but don't look like anything reg grass, but its not on the prop

Old 12-13-2007, 01:04 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

were not allowed to bait with corn,ect. here(probably never get caught on my own property), but we are allowed to hunt corn feilds. not sure wha the difference is. we are allowed to put corn out as long as we dont hunt over or near it though.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:22 PM
Range Rover

lol weres that ny? down here in ohio you can do what you want

Old 12-14-2007, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

missouri

Old 01-27-2008, 05:19 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Nor Mn where I have property (160 acres) you can usually feed but not bait. I would like to have some food plots installed on my property; but haven't the time myself and cannot seem to find anyone in the area I trust to get the job done. Feeding has been temporarily halted due to disease brought in by cattle herds in the area. When not restricted from doing so, I have several old metal pig feeders that I fill with sunflowers and corn. I also bring in truck loads of sugar beets which the deer and rabbits really love. This is in addition to the salt & mineral blocks that I have placed about the property.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what type of food plot?