Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Advice on purchase of utv

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 12:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on purchase of utv

I live on a small farm and am wanting to purchase a utv. Primarily for pulling small to moderate sized loads, hauling brush and tools and also to be used for hunting. I have looked at the polaris ranger xp and although I love the ride of it, I think it's just to big for what I need it for. I am jumping between the traditional gator or the rhino.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rhino! Rhino! Rhino!...yes ,a Rhino,Yamaha has great resale value and dealerships are plenty.Now for the good stuff, I live on a large piece of property,and the up keep is tremendous.The rhino helps with keeping it clean,as well as a fine hunting vehicle,that will go most any place a large(700) atv will go.I have had one for two years and have been most happy.There are some other makes,but the Rhino is best in my opinion for what you said you would use it for. I have ridden in a Ranger,and they are big and comfortable,but they are "BIG".

Old 06-06-2008, 05:58 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If a Ranger is too big, why not just use an ATV? Any big-bore ATV will go down trails that a Rhino or Gator can't. But if I didn't want to ride trails, I'd get a 6x6 Ranger.

The Rhino's bed capacity is 400 pounds, a little more than you can carry on an ATV, and it can tow LESS than my Sportsman 500. You may as well just buy an ATV. The Ranger 6x6 bed capacity is 1750 pounds, more than 4 times as much as the Rhino, plus it can tow another 2,000 pounds at the same time. 3,750 pound total capacity versus 1,612. That's well over a ton more weight that the Ranger can handle. The Gator can't compete with that either. No UTV or ATV can.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:07 AM
Pro Rider

You must be a Polaris guy.Chevy too! Yamaha Rhinos can do the job they were intended for.......

Old 06-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Moto Psycho

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: pwillie

You must be a Polaris guy.Chevy too! Yamaha Rhinos can do the job they were intended for.......</end quote></div>

So can ATVs, so why bother with a UTV? I wouldn't buy a UTV that can only handle a fraction of the work another one can, but anyone who doesn't do serious work can get a lightweight instead. I just think people should know what's available so they can make an informed choice. Some people drive full-size trucks and some people drive compact SUVs. They both have a purpose and neither one is right, or wrong, for everyone. It's the same thing with ATVs and UTVs. They come in all shapes and sizes to handle different tasks.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:14 PM
rv
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i vote 4 the kabota especialy far around the farm

Old 06-07-2008, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

Jumbo, I see no one has stolen your Chevy or your scooter! Whats up?

Old 06-08-2008, 12:52 AM
Moto Psycho

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: pwillie

Jumbo, I see no one has stolen your Chevy or your scooter! Whats up?</end quote></div>

The scooter is out of sight, in the house, or in the shed with two padlocks. The truck has an alarm. The quad just sits in the driveway behind my truck, chained to a post. They cut my log chain with bolt cutters, cut down a six-foot chainlink fence behind me, and pushed it out on the next street over. I don't have a garage and it won't fit in the shed, so it sits out there all year. My best friend has a garage full of Yamahas and never has any problems. I tell all my friends I should buy a Yammy because no-one wants them. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] But they sure like Polaris. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 06-09-2008, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

Jumbo: If you bought a Yamaha,you would build a shed to keep it in,you would fall in love with a sweeet machine.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:36 AM
Moto Psycho

I rode a couple of different Yamahas and didn't like them. Nothing else I've tried compares to the Cadillac ride of a Sportsman, not even a Grizzly 660. I haven't tried a 700, so maybe that one's okay. It's not like I can test ride new quads out in the woods, so I can only try what other people bring with them.

Given any kind of choice I'd rather buy American anyway. The job you save may be yours, your brothers, or your friends.

Quick Reply: Advice on purchase of utv