Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

IOWA wild boar/feral hog problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 02:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IOWA wild boar/feral hog problem

i have been hearing alot of talk about runaway wild russian boars and feral hogs ripping up southern iowa and surrounding states, i'm sure all you land owners know the damage they do, they eat everything . anyway in iowa their considered a nussiance and can be hunted with little restriction and what i need to know is does anyone on here have problem with them or know of any place special where a person or 5 could go with their atvs, camp out and be pretty sure to at least spot a few if not kill a few big pigs, we live in cedar rapids which is N.E iowa were all hunters but apparently pigs are pretty smart and travel at night and the chance of just finding them is slim without the farmers help and confirmed sightings..

so if you can help or have any info or want to partisipate, let me know where their at

Old 02-16-2008, 03:43 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well if you know of anybody here in oklahoma, i have lots of places to hunt hogs. here in oklahoma you can kill hogs all year round and do not have a limit on how many you can kill either. some ranchers around here will actually pay you to come and kill the hogs off of their place. me and a few of my buddies go hog hunttin all the time with dogs. we catch them alive and sell them to game ranches at $1 a pound. then they charge out-of-state hunters for a garenteed hog hunt....................shea.................

Old 02-17-2008, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

We do have a problem in Oklahoma. My hunting lease is full of them. We try to kill any we see, but they have gone nocturnal on our corn feeders. Here it is the more you kill the better off you are.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:15 AM
Pro Rider

WHERES MY BIG PIG HIDIN?

Old 03-16-2008, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider

We have a few counties here in PA w/ them too. The Game Commission has no jurisdiction on them but encourage hunters to shoot them if they see them. Glad there not aroung home or our cabin but sure would like to get one or two and fill the freezer!!

Old 03-24-2008, 02:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: okiedude

We do have a problem in Oklahoma. My hunting lease is full of them. We try to kill any we see, but they have gone nocturnal on our corn feeders. Here it is the more you kill the better off you are.</end quote></div>

I see from your photos that we have had the same problems with vandals on our properties. Should would be nice to get some prosecutions...

Old 02-22-2009, 04:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Shea,

I was hoping I could get some sweet information about those hogs down there in Oklahoma. My brother and I are trying to plan a hog hunt right now, and Oklahoma seems like the nearest place to Nebraska with substantial populations of hogs. Do you think you could tell me some places that would give us high odds of running into some little piggies? Do you know any of those farmers that might be having problems with hogs? They wouldn't even have to pay us, we'd kill em for free. Any information that you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

ty

Old 02-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider

WE have Boo Ku hogs in 'Bama,the delta down south has the most,and you can take all you want.Public land in the river swamps.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

i live in southern iowa and just seen my first 3 feral hogs( nothing to brag about). now going to hunt bigger ones is the only thing on my mind. have never hunted them and would like some info.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I've had wild boar before. MMmmm. Tasty.

Quick Reply: IOWA wild boar/feral hog problem