Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Swisher Rough Cut--blade problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 10:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swisher Rough Cut--blade problems

So, for the third time in a year I have had a blade freeze solid on the Swisher Rough Cut 44. Each time, I have to take to a place with an impact wrench to get the bolt out. Then I put the blade back on just like the owner's manual and repair manual say. Today, I got 1/2 acre cut and it happened again.

Anyone else had this problem with theirs or heard of it happening often? It just seems odd to have this happen 3 times in a year.

Blessings,
Jeff
The River Hawk

Old 08-25-2008, 01:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Jeff:

I've had a Rough Cut 44 for a few years now and am familiar with the problem you are having. I found the solution was to keep a set of long pattern box end wrenches that fit the nut and bolt head on hand. When installing the blades I leave them with a little extra room to move up and down when tightening the retaining bolt. Hold the bolt and install the lock nut and tighten it down really tight. Don't worry about breaking it cause it's made of tough stuff.

I've found the out end of the blade needs to be able to move up and down about an inch or a little more to avoid having the bolt tighten down and freeze it in place.

Mike

Old 08-25-2008, 08:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

THANKS!!

So let me get this straight...when you say the "out end" of the blade, you are talking about the "non bolted" end right? And when you say then end needs to be able to move up and down an inch or so, you mean that it needs to be loose enough that I can push it up closer to the blade "roof" and closer to the ground about an inch or so? Just want to clarify....Again, THANKS!!!

Old 08-25-2008, 09:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Right, the end that cuts the grass and rocks has to move up and down some. If the bolt is too tight on the blade it will bind up and lock the blade in a retracted position. I usually put some grease on the bolt and blade when I assemble them. The lock nut has to be tightened down really good and tight or the bolt will tighten up on the blade. Couple of good, long wrenches to hold the nut on top of the rotating plate and tighten the lock nut are essential.

Mike

Old 08-29-2008, 04:15 PM
Range Rover

Thanks also - cos I too had that problem. Also I have seen when the blades are too tight then the machine goes out of balance and vibrates too much.
p.s.Tencubed--- I like that list of 'extras' -- cow prod bumper?? tell me more

Old 08-29-2008, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey thanks for the info. Funny thing is I've been mowing several acres for a few years now and never had this happen to me until yesterday! What timing ya'll have! Good thing for me it happened on my final lap! Now all I gotta do is loosen the darned bolts! LOL!

Old 08-29-2008, 08:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Firehog...
I've got bad news...you will not be able to loosen up that bolt unless you have an impact wrench. That sucker is on there SOLID! The first time, I had to take it to a local auto repair place. They were nice enough to do if for free. Took 2 minutes. This past time, I decided not to fool around. I took it to a local tractor dealer and had them repair it. So far so good. Used it all day today and had no freeze ups. Well worth the $35 to have them do it. 1/2 hour labor was all it took.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the advice. I do have an impact wrench so I'll try it first. If not, I'll go the local tractor shop too! I'm kinda glad to see others having the same problem. I thought I bent it or something as I was clearing some empty lots I have that have sagebrush with about 2" thick branches and it just ate them up! I'm really impressed with what this thing will do! Besides, it gives me a reason to ride my quad (and write it off!). Way more fun than a tractor....although those tractors with enclosed air conditioned cabs are pretty nice!

Old 08-29-2008, 10:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

I downloaded the owners manual and repair manual off of the Swisher website...www.swisherinc.com...I made a copy of the blade repair page and actually brought it to the tractor repair place to show them what Swisher says to do repair. I'd suggest the same....

Old 08-29-2008, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

Awesome, thanks, that helps alot since I have no idea where my manual is! LOL!

Quick Reply: Swisher Rough Cut--blade problems