Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Best Wildlife Game camera. Which is a Good One?

Old 10-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Wildlife Game camera. Which is a Good One?

Well after my neighbor, 1/4th mile away captured a couple Interesting photos, I Decided I want one also. Last saturday at about 1:30 PM in the afernoon, his photo dated and photographed two elks passing in front of his camera..later the same day at 3:31 PM, his camera photografted a large MT Lion..going in the same direction..lol So what is a good brand..I don't want the cheap "Throw Away" ones..but also don't want the very expensive ones either..how about the Moultrie Game Spy I-40 Digital Trail Camera..I see Ebay has them for around $210.00 + - ..I need the ones that you dont have to change the battery every week..need about 6 weeks between the battary change.. any suggestions?? How long does the battary last in the winter?? Thanks in advance...

Old 10-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

there are alot of good ones out there. i bought two cheap ones last year for $99 and they work good. batteries last a long time but it depends how many pics they take and if they take alot at night with the flash.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas...d=cat20098&hasJS=true

pics look good i would post them for you but they are to big

Old 10-11-2008, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.

A problem I had with a cheap trail cam was that it took three seconds from the time an animal triggered the camera to the time it actually snapped a pix. I got a lot of shots of nothing but trees. Sometimes I could see a bear butt or a deer tail in the frame. I had the camera pointed across a trail and stuff would pass out of range in that three seconds. I solved the problem by always pointing the camera down a trail rather than across it. Got a lot of good shots, but my next cam will be one that is quicker to trigger.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

My buddy just put that same Moultrie up last weekend, will let you know on
the results in a couple of weeks.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider

A couple of the guys I know that use them really extensively swear by cuddeback. They use the ones with IR and IR flash. They say that they have quick capture times so you don't end up with shots of nothing or deer asses.

One other guy uses the smartscouter units which use a cellular link to upload the images onto the internet.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.

I see that Cabelas has one with rechargable batteries and a solar charger. My camera gobbles batteries, so that sounds like a great feature to me.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:40 AM
Pro Rider

I have 3 of the Moultrie i-40 cameras and they are fine cameras.I have left one of my cameras out for 5 weeks and had 96 pictures on it and the battery life was still 86 percent.My cameras have endured rain ice and snow and came through just fine in all cases.I even had a bear chew on one of them and it held up well.The trigger speed is very important and the results i get show me that the moultrieI-40 is more than capable.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

Stay with Moultie.

I have 2 D40's that work fine ( dont like -20 weather though)
I have a 5.0 outfitter ( newer D40 model) real crisp pics and good battery life
I just bought an I40 because I heard such good things, and man this camera is awesome. I have it up north and it was taking pics in -26 CELCUIS....345 pictures and still at 65% battery life.

Stay away from cuddlebacks....my friend bought 7 of them and now 5 are in for warrenty work and the others are starting to screw up also. He paid twice as much or more and his are junk.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used the Moultrie D40 for a couple of years now, it works great, takes great pictures day or night, but I have found a lot of blank pictures, sometimes on a 128 Meg card, out of 156 pictures, only about 30 to 50 have anything in them, don't know if moving branches cause it, or birds flying in front trip it ( I have found little brown "blurs" on the picture, turned out to be birds.) I set mine to take 3 pics in a row, that probably wastes a lot of pictures, but catches a lot of action. I have gotten a couple of months in warmer weather with 6 D cells, and it has a hookup for a 12 volt deep cycle battery cable, I imagine that would last all season.
I have seen some spendy models that are wireless internet set up, they actually broadcast the pictures with a signal like a cell phone, and you log onto a web site, enter your cameras code, and can view, print and erase right from your home PC, that would be great for an area that is hard to get to, or to prevent spooking game in the area.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

95wolv, My d40's do that too. I get a lot of pictures of nothing, but since I've put it on 3 round burst I'm getting a lot more. Sometimes the flash wont go off and the pic will be blank but I can tell by the time what it is. Might have 2 black pictures, but then get a pic of a deer or w\e a minute later. Usually atleast one of the 3 pics is a good pic. For $99, they have done their job.