ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Hunting, Trapping, Game Management (https://atvconnection.com/forums/hunting-trapping-game-management/)
-   -   Squirrel management (https://atvconnection.com/forums/hunting-trapping-game-management/319386-squirrel-management.html)

Kodiak450_06 10-14-2009 05:40 PM

Squirrel management

3 Attachment(s)
Last Spring (2008) there is this tree in front of my house where there was a family of five squirrels living. I shot them all with my Gamo .177 1000fps break open Varmint hunter rifle. Yesterday I noticed 4 squirrels in front of my house near the same tree, and to my surprise there is a new family in that hole in the tree. I saw 5 of them up in the tree today. Well I was waiting for them to come out and shot two of them suckers one after another. Both feel out of the tree, the first one was screaming and kicking in the leafs and the other one I must of hit in the front right shoulder as it was able to hop off after the fall.

Attachment 20504
Attachment 20505
Attachment 20506

I'll hopefully get the other 4 tomorrow as they come out at noon and again at dusk.

Also in the picture is my new Ka-Bar heavy bowie, this is an awesome knife period! Able to chop branches with it and decapitate a deers head pretty easy after I take them down with my Martin Cheetah Real Tree compound bow 350fps 50-60lb draw.

MooseHenden 10-14-2009 07:13 PM

Too bad it takes so many squirrels to make a good meal... ;)

jwpeaston 10-14-2009 08:28 PM

Buy a have a heart trap and bait it with bread and peanut butter. The trap never takes anytime off. Shoot what you can and let the trap take care of the ones that you miss or run off.

Jim

Kodiak450_06 10-15-2009 07:25 AM

I have plenty of traps set up throughout my property. I prefer shooting the squirrels to keep up with my marksmanship. I got blunt force tips for my arrows, that are designed for killing squirrels, but it's all about location, location, location with a compound. I cannot stress how many arrows have disappeared and/or broke just from practice. Now I only shoot when it's time to kill. As much as I would love to have used a blunt force tip on a squirrel, just gotta be right place right time.

Turfguy 11-02-2009 03:51 PM

Nice work. Hate squirrels. We take a few during bow season when the deer traffic is slow. Its fun shooting them with a bow. Also not really that easy. They are quick little guys.

Rubicon/Deere 11-04-2009 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Turfguy (Post 2861976)
Nice work. Hate squirrels. We take a few during bow season when the deer traffic is slow. Its fun shooting them with a bow. Also not really that easy. They are quick little guys.

I've done that also.:D

Also when the deer traffic is slow. It's nice when a bunch of turkey come under the stand!;)

95wolv 11-06-2009 01:01 AM

I stopped shooting squirrels with judo points, waaay too messy, a head shot is fine, but shot a big one in the ribs once, he pretty much exploded. Target points pin them to the ground nice, but you're not supposed to have them in the quiver with your broadheads anymore.

Kodiak450_06 11-09-2009 02:05 PM

Rottweiler vs The squirrel

11 Attachment(s)
Just shot a squirrel out of a tree over 117' away from my patio with my airgun. Went back into the woods and he fell from the tree and got caught on a pricker bush with his hand. Got a gut shot on him, but was still alive. So I let my Rottweiler finish him off..

This is after the shot when i brought him back to my patio for a photo op.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i6...s/Misc/067.jpg
Attachment 20354

Then I let out my Rottweiler to finish it off!

Attachment 20355
Attachment 20356
Attachment 20357
Attachment 20358
Attachment 20359
Attachment 20360
Attachment 20361
Attachment 20362
Attachment 20363
Attachment 20364

Kodiak450_06 11-09-2009 03:58 PM

I just got another one! After I shot his sorry ass he was hanging from the tree and was able to pull himself up at one point to get away from me. Finally he dropped and I cut his head off with the Ka-Bar. Man what a knife a Ka-Bar is..Cut his head right off like a butter knife going through warm butter.

Oldman800 11-22-2009 07:35 PM

C'mon man, stop wasting all those good eats. Haven't you herd of squirrel & gravy with a side of fried taters? Guess they don't know good home cookin' in Jersey! Maybe we need to get some posts of Hillbilly recipes for you city folks.