ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Hunting, Trapping, Game Management (https://atvconnection.com/forums/hunting-trapping-game-management/)
-   -   Top 5 ATVs for Hunting (https://atvconnection.com/forums/hunting-trapping-game-management/340691-top-5-atvs-hunting.html)

ATV Connection Reporter 10-24-2011 06:40 PM

Top 5 ATVs for Hunting

Top 5 ATVs for Hunting

Did we hit the mark? What did we forget?

irinman2424 10-24-2011 06:58 PM

why are all of them HIGH CC machines? I have a 500 HO and it does just fine

beergut 10-24-2011 07:21 PM

good article-

I guess it really depends on where you're hunting.
Around here- a lot of the hunters favor the mid sized atv's like the vinson, eiger & foreman- and some even rather have the smaller 250's like an ozark to easily get through the thick new england forest and because they are a lot easier to trailer load and gas up. My fil has a sp500, but he nly hunts with his 250 ozark
of course- if the budget allows and there's enough space- why not go with a big bore atv.

ATVC Correspondent 10-24-2011 10:18 PM

irinman2424:

We constructed the list as a sort of "The Ultimate Hunter's ATVs"- as such budget restrictions and ATV storage considerations were irrelevant. Of course you are absolutely right- there are literally dozens of smaller-bore entries that will serve hunters wonderfully.

In fact in these situations it is often best to view our selections as a starting point.. Most of the manufacturers offer more affordable smaller-displacement variations of their flagship ATVs that contain many of the same features that earned our nominations for the article.

MooseHenden 10-25-2011 07:12 AM

Left out the ultimate hunting rig, in my, less than humble opinion. The Polaris Sportsman X2. Older models were available with 500, 700, and 800cc engines. Newer are 550 and 850 on the XP platform. Storage underneath the front rack, a 400 lb. rated rear (for carrying out the big bucks) dumpbox, Turf mode for tight turning without leaving two trenches in the food plot you planted to attract the big 'uns, lock-n-ride gun boot that goes on in 15 seconds, etc.

jimmyc 03-07-2013 08:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by MooseHenden (Post 3072730)
Left out the ultimate hunting rig, in my, less than humble opinion. The Polaris Sportsman X2. Older models were available with 500, 700, and 800cc engines. Newer are 550 and 850 on the XP platform. Storage underneath the front rack, a 400 lb. rated rear (for carrying out the big bucks) dumpbox, Turf mode for tight turning without leaving two trenches in the food plot you planted to attract the big 'uns, lock-n-ride gun boot that goes on in 15 seconds, etc.

I agree 100%. I've got a 2011 850XP X2 and I think it's the most versatile ATV on the market especially for hunting!

Attachment 15070

pete37922 03-07-2013 11:18 PM

i think just about all utility ATV could do the job...they are just concentrating on the BIG names & BIG bore engines !!!

beergut 03-08-2013 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by jimmyc (Post 3172535)
I agree 100%. I've got a 2011 850XP X2 and I think it's the most versatile ATV on the market especially for hunting!

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e1...ps91d236c2.jpg

awesome photo! :nod: belongs in a hunting mag!

Originally Posted by pete37922 (Post 3172554)
i think just about all utility ATV could do the job...they are just concentrating on the BIG names & BIG bore engines !!!

disagree- you're not pulling 2 deer, rider & gear out of the woods on a 300 ute.
and even if you managed it- it wouldn't be an experience I'd want to repeat.
I don't understand why people who own the smaller atv's refuse to admit work is easier with larger ute engines. :rolleyes:

MooseHenden 03-08-2013 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by jimmyc (Post 3172535)

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e1...ps91d236c2.jpg

Exactly!!! Unfortunetly, when it was my time to upgrade, they discontinued the 850 X2. I couldn't find a good used one so I went with the Outlander Max. The rear air suspension is really good for the varying loads I carry. Just push a button and it's where you want it. But, I still contend there isn't a 4 wheeler out there that can begin to compare with the X2. Notice how he's got 2 does in there and the suspension isn't sagging. Put that load on a normal quad and you're going to squat a few inches.

beergut 03-08-2013 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by MooseHenden (Post 3172624)
Exactly!!! Unfortunetly, when it was my time to upgrade, they discontinued the 850 X2. I couldn't find a good used one so I went with the Outlander Max. The rear air suspension is really good for the varying loads I carry. Just push a button and it's where you want it. But, I still contend there isn't a 4 wheeler out there that can begin to compare with the X2. Notice how he's got 2 does in there and the suspension isn't sagging. Put that load on a normal quad and you're going to squat a few inches.

I like how it's just bleeding all over the rear fender -

"hey, what's all over your atv? mud?"

"NO... BLOOD!" :nod: