ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Hunting, Trapping, Game Management (https://atvconnection.com/forums/hunting-trapping-game-management/)
-   -   Wasp nest Help!! (https://atvconnection.com/forums/hunting-trapping-game-management/353126-wasp-nest-help.html)

Kyle 713 09-16-2013 03:59 PM

Wasp nest Help!!

This might not be the best place to ask but anyways, i have a underground i think hornets nest and i am try ing to get rid of them. one day this week we were pulling weeds in are planter and we have this grass-like plant and there is a hole and then they all came out and stung us and are dogs and when we got in the house we look at the planter and there had to been at least a couple hundred of them swarming around well after they went away we have this wasp killer stuff and we sprayed it into the hole. well through out the week we have seen some still flying to hole so we took the garden hose and put it in the hole and turned on the water and left it for a while and then we put about a quarter of a gallon of carosine in the hole, we have a well and it is under the nest so we are trying not to put anything that will go in the well and 'posion' it,
last night we poured bleach in the hole and they are STILL there i wanted to no what we could do to get them away with out puting anything toxic that could go into our well. Thanks

user493 09-16-2013 04:17 PM

Boiling water might kill them. Anything else I can think of is poison.

beergut 09-16-2013 06:33 PM

I had a huge yellow jacket nest underground here at my house-
I actually used charcoal lighter fluid to douse the ground where they were (a good 3'radius) and lit it- then while it was burning I used a pick ax to pull up the dirt- sure enough there was a hive about the size of a tissue box. the fire toasted the little bastards-

you could always just soak the area with wasp spray-

can also wait till night- a cool night is better- then dig it up and burn'em.

can also try pouring a gallon of vinegar over the area- harmless to you- they will hate it.

user493 09-16-2013 10:58 PM

I was wondering what effect vinegar would have. I never tried it.

beergut 09-17-2013 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by jumbofrank (Post 3211052)
I was wondering what effect vinegar would have. I never tried it.

I think every living creature on the planet hates the smell of vinegar :D

scootergptx 09-17-2013 07:29 AM

Good old fashioned soap and water. :nod:
Best time is in the evening or night. They have terrible night vision and are less likely to see you, so they can't sting you. They will die off in the winter, except for the queen. She will hibernate, then come out in spring and start the process all over again.

Pardon me if I have this mental vision of Summers Eve wasp killer now.

jgar 09-20-2013 08:53 PM

Rather surprised someone else didnt post this.... 1/4 stick

beergut 09-20-2013 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by jgar (Post 3211812)
Rather surprised someone else didnt post this.... 1/4 stick

:nod: :yup:

Now you're thinking!

_Kong_ 09-21-2013 04:46 PM

Get a mason jar of gasoline. After dark, just slip up to the nest and turn the jar over the hole, and let the jar stay there. Don't light it, just let it soak in the ground. It will kill the whole nest.

MegaBanshee350 09-21-2013 10:28 PM

I see two options. 1) Try an m80. It will blow the little bastards to kingdom come and its tons of fun. 2) Fill the whole with cement.