ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://atvconnection.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   New to the forum and need atv buying advice... (https://atvconnection.com/forums/introduce-yourself/365387-new-forum-need-atv-buying-advice.html)

Hack714 09-19-2015 10:41 PM

New to the forum and need atv buying advice...

Hello everyone i am new to the forums and i hope to be an active member for a long time, i have read many threads and this seems like a great community it all areas.

I am currently looking to buy my first atv and i am torn on what to get. I am not a newbie i have ridden atvs before so i would say I am a novice rider, usually rode sport quads ranging from 250 to 400. I have also rode some utility 4x4s. I am torn between what type of atv to buy i mostly ride trails, some open fields and some trails can get technical. I do not care for mudding just not my cup of tea. I like the way a sport quad rides as in the fun aspect. Being able to power slide and whip around corners is fun some light jumping some fast riding. On the other hand it is nice to have 4x4 and get through places easier then a sport.

I am debating a few makes and models and would appreciate any input..
1. Can am Renegade - i think the 800 would be to much for tight trails and i think the 570 would be more up my alley...any thoughts

2. Suzuki ltz400- rode this quad a lot before and i enjoyed it

3. Raptor 700- is this quad to much power for someone with my experience and is it to much power for trail riding and tight trails. i do not want to be stuck in 1st and 2nd gear all day. that is no fun i rode a 660 raptor when they first came out and it was 2nd gear all day i dont know how the 700 compares.

4- Honda 400x - this is my last choice a few buddies ride them and if i hear them say just buy a 400x one more time with out giving me other options im going to wear ear plugs all day around them.

Thanks for all the help...P.S. im 6' 1" 210 lbs if that makes a difference

Hack714 09-20-2015 12:36 AM

Ok after much discussion with a bunch of friends i decided i want a sport quad and narrowed it down to 2 choices the raptor 700 and the ltz 400. i hear the raptor is easy to maintain and a good trail rider i just worry it might be to much for power for the first bike i buy..any thoughts?

MooseHenden 09-20-2015 04:25 PM

If you know someone with a Renegade 500 see if you can take one for a spin. They are pretty light handling for a quad with 4x4. The new 570 would make it even more fun. If you anticipate mud, snow, and/or steep rocky hill climbs where you can't use momentum to get up the hill, I'd recommend it. My son's Renegade has gotten through every mud hole the utility machines have. Sport quads are a blast as they are pretty toss-able but can be a pain if mud, ruts, rocks, roots, or snow are deep or large. You only have a few inches of ground clearance compared to 10-11" under the typical utility machine or Renegade. Just my own .02 worth.

MooseHenden 09-20-2015 04:28 PM

Oh, and given the right body English a utility can power slide pretty well around corners. It's more an issue of having enough power to break the rear tires free from gripping, and moving your weight forward and towards the inside of the corner. I do it all day with my Outlander Max 650 which is the largest and among the heaviest quads out there. My son's Renegade is a hoot to corner on by comparison. Both will do it but the Renegade handles a good bit lighter. I've always thought the 650 would be the perfect engine for a Renegade but they have never and don't now make it.

Hack714 09-20-2015 04:43 PM

i went to a dealer and test drove a 570 i did like it but it still feels utility top heavy to me and the last thing i want to do is roll a can am bc they can be pricey to fix. Also the sports are easier to work on id be a little more familiar with those since all my buddies ride those and i have helped out on a few projects. After some advice from both suzuki and raptor forums i have concluded the 700 to much muscle for my first atv purchase so im looking for the ltz400. After i pay that off and my son gets older and needs one then i will have to decide whether to go bigger sport or go 4x4 sport.

wedgeracer 10-06-2015 05:41 AM

looking

Originally Posted by Hack714 (Post 3300991)
i went to a dealer and test drove a 570 i did like it but it still feels utility top heavy to me and the last thing i want to do is roll a can am bc they can be pricey to fix. Also the sports are easier to work on id be a little more familiar with those since all my buddies ride those and i have helped out on a few projects. After some advice from both suzuki and raptor forums i have concluded the 700 to much muscle for my first atv purchase so im looking for the ltz400. After i pay that off and my son gets older and needs one then i will have to decide whether to go bigger sport or go 4x4 sport.

not trying to sway u to anything in particular, but you ought to look at a kfx700. lots of very controllable power, not the fastest on the trail tho. auto. which is very fun after a couple of minutes to get used to. there are a lot of them for sale right now around here w/ cold weather coming on. ( a lot of 4 wheelers period). they (KFX700) are pretty reliable and long lasting and tough. just don`t screw w/ the carbs if u don`t have too. the most comfortable bike I`ve ever been on. great for bigger guys!------bob

scootergptx 10-06-2015 06:51 AM

Welcome to the forums. :)

For an affordable sport quad, you can't beat the ltz and trx 400's. Lots of upgrades out there to boost the power as you get more comfortable with them. But like you said, they aren't going to go everywhere a 4x4 will. Ask me how I know. ;)

Nice thing about the 400's and the Raptors is you can change up the gearing a bit just by making a sprocket change. Did that with my kfx (ltz badged Kawasaki). Made a big difference on the trails.

Can am has seemed to get a good mix of sport/utility in their rides.

Best thing to do is go out and sit on them and see how they fit you.

Good luck!